Development/Special Events Intern
Fundraising | New York, NY | Internship
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease. Our aggressively funded research agenda is a core part of our strategy towards achieving this mission, and the development of this agenda and management of our research portfolio is driven by a team and advisors with both scientific and business expertise. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U.S. federal government, having funded over $325 million in research projects globally in both academic and industry labs. In 2012, MJFF has a nearly $65 million annual revenue budget and 70 full-time employees. The Foundation funds research globally and works with donor constituents primarily in the United States.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research has an exciting learning opportunity available as a Development Intern. The Development Intern will have a unique opportunity to work within a highly regarded non-profit organization and gain firsthand knowledge of the operations of our Development team. There will also be an opportunity to assist with our Special Events team with administrative functions in preparation for many of our fundraising events.
The ideal candidate will be a pro-active, high-energy individual who is detail oriented and has strong inter-personal and communication skills. This individual should also be able to work under pressure in a fast paced environment and willing to lend a hand on projects big and small. The ability to multitask and prioritize is a must. This role will have a high level of written, and phone interactions with individuals of different levels and requires both a well spoken individual as well as someone with strong writing skills. The Development Intern’s core responsibility is to support the Development and Special Events Team. The Development Intern will report to the Development Associate. This internship is available each semester. The Foundation is always looking for smart, determined individuals who would like to participate in an internship with us. As a result, resumes can be submitted to the Foundation throughout the year. The internship will be 3-5 days a week. Our general business hours are 9am to 6pm. The internship is unpaid with a $15 per day stipend for transportation.
• Assist with mailings, filing and various administrative support for development and events department.
• Assist in maintaining expense and revenue budgets as well as maintaining and updating spreadsheets
• Draft correspondence including thank you letters, responding to donor inquiries and preparing funding requests
• Data entry in Raiser’s Edge database
• Some assistance with executing MJFF’s three annual fundraising/benefit events and a variety of cultivation events.
• Microsoft Office skills are required, often using mail merge function and Excel.
• Database experience a plus.
• Must be pro-active, self-directed, detail-oriented and organized.
• Must possess strong inter-personal skills and excellent phone skills.
• Must possess capacity to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Media skills a plus
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates should send a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position.
- Please, no telephone inquiries. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.