Communications | New York, NY
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease. Our aggressively funded research agenda is a core part of our strategy towards achieving this mission, and the development of this agenda and management of our research portfolio is driven by a team and advisors with both scientific and business expertise. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U.S. federal government, having funded more than $297 million in research projects globally in both academic and industry labs. In 2012, MJFF has a nearly $65 million annual revenue budget and 70 full-time employees. The Foundation funds research globally and works with donor constituents primarily in the United States.
The MJFF internship program provides college students with hands-on experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial nonprofit organization. MJFF has an exciting learning opportunity available as a Marketing & Communications Intern. This is a chance to work within a world-class, high-profile nonprofit organization and to witness close-up the communications operations that are integral to achieving MJFF’s goals. You will learn firsthand how a top-shelf brand markets itself on a variety of fronts. This internship includes multiple opportunities to participate in or listen in on meetings at various levels. This position will report to the Marketing & Communications Officer. This internship is available immediately and depending in the candidates schedule can continue through the summer. The Foundation is always looking for smart, determined individuals who would like to participate in an internship with us. As a result, resumes can be submitted to the Foundation throughout the year. The candidate should be able to commit to at least 2 full days a week or 3 partial days. Our general business hours are 9am to 6pm. All interns are paid $15 stipend per day.
- Assist with writing and editing tasks including press releases, newsletter articles, Web site items and the like
- Assist with ongoing maintenance of various MJFF Web properties
- Maintain organization of multimedia assets (DVDs, CDs, beta tapes, etc.)
- Process and submit departmental invoices
- Assist with organization and sometimes creation of systems for keeping track of media clippings, photographs and collateral
- Assist with creation and maintenance of media lists
- Assist with formatting and distribution of monthly e-newsletter
- Assist with distribution of press releases
- Manage clerical duties as needed, including filing, faxing, photocopying and assisting with mailings
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with other individuals at all levels
- Interest in public relations
- Proactive, high-energy self-starter
- Ability to work independently but also as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite on a PC platform.
- Proficiency with graphics programs, such as Adobe Photoshop, and interest/experience in basic Web coding are pluses.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates should send a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position.
- Please, no telephone inquiries. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.