Associate Director, Partnerships Marketing & Communications
Communications | New York, NY
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) is dedicated to speeding a cure for Parkinson’s disease by driving high-impact Parkinson’s research. Since inception, MJFF has funded over $275 million in research focused on accelerating new treatments for Parkinson's disease (PD), making MJFF the largest non-government PD research funder in the world. Our portfolio has grown commensurate with our fundraising success, with over $57 million in new grants in calendar year 2011 alone. Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various treatment ideas and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. Over the past 11 years, MJFF has grown two complementary “businesses” — funding science focused on a cure, and raising funds needed to keep the progress moving. A first-rate communications effort is integral to the Foundation’s achievement of its ambitious goals on both fronts.
The Foundation’s unique and high-impact approach requires an effective communications strategy that inspires multiple stakeholders to varied actions. Our Marketing and Communications team is currently seeking an Associate Director, Partnerships Marketing & Communications. This dedicated, talented, and experienced individual will directly contribute to activities that compellingly communicate our vision, accomplishments and challenges to key stakeholders, strengthening the perception of the Foundation as a world-class organization playing a leading role in the pursuit of a cure for PD.
The Foundation is a complex organization at which to practice communications. On any given day, Mar/Comm’s team members may apply strategic problem-solving skills to collateral and publication development, video/multimedia production, scientific media outreach, entertainment/celebrity media outreach, scientific events promotion, fundraising events promotion, digital/social media strategy, advocacy efforts — or all of the above. The team is called on both to contribute creative strategic counsel to advance the Foundation’s efforts, and to expertly project-manage and execute in order to translate those strategies into effective action steps.
Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing and Communications, and working closely with the Foundation’s Research Partnerships and Digital Strategies teams, the Associate Director, Partnerships Marketing & Communications will play a key role in marketing Foundation partnerships in clinical trials and the biotech, pharmaceutical and health care industries to targeted audiences. These initiatives are at the heart of the Foundation’s engagement of the patient and research communities to join us in urgently pursuing a cure.
This is a position for a confident and experienced Mar/Comm’s professional. Key attributes of the successful candidate will include excellent decision-making and judgment, comfort taking initiative in an entrepreneurial environment, strong writing, and advanced project and time management skills. The perfect candidate would bring extensive marketing experience in the healthcare industry and an understanding of the specific regulatory environment surrounding clinical trials. All candidates should be able to demonstrate success marketing complex subject matter to diverse audiences with specific objectives that were tracked and ultimately met.
Specific responsibilities of the Associate Director, Partnerships Marketing & Communications will include:
- Leading on marketing and promotion of Fox Trial Finder, our next-generation smart-match clinical trial recruitment tool, through development of a holistic marketing and communications plan including but not limited to media strategy, key messages, collateral suites and new media campaigns, as well as periodic newsletters, Web content, marketing copy, flyers, and other tactics
- Marketing the Foundation’s groundbreaking industry partnerships initiatives to biotech and pharmaceutical firms, in order to continually expand and optimize our presence with companies working in Parkinson’s drug development
- Promoting partnerships with healthcare stakeholders such as insurance companies to increase awareness of and buy-in for the Foundation’s proactive efforts to engage the Parkinson’s community in the search for a cure
- Serving as Communications lead on “translating” the scale, scope and impact of the Foundation’s partnerships and collaborative approach into compelling messages targeted to patients, donors, prospective donors and KOLs
- Tracking marketing outcomes in order to formulate evidence-based recommendations on continually refining and optimizing strategy
- Contributing to the day-to-day management of PR agencies and other vendors
- Building and managing relationships with counterparts at Foundation partners on effective joint promotion of partnerships
The Foundation is an exceptionally high-volume and fast-paced workplace. An innate sense of pace/urgency is key, as is the ability to work productively and proactively both independently and as part of a team.
The right candidate will have strong communication skills (oral and written), significant project management experience and experience developing, implementing and tracking marketing campaigns and strategies. Advanced degrees, such as an MA, MBA, MPA and relevant management or strategy experience are preferred. This is a full-time onsite position located in New York City and is not conducive to telecommuting. The Associate Director, Partnerships Marketing & Communications, must also be willing to travel as needed.
Ideal candidates will also possess:
- Ability to think big picture and strategically while maintaining exquisite attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial approach; proactive and action-oriented personality; strong sense of pace and urgency
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills; ability to manage and be managed
- Intellectual curiosity
- Experience or interest in science or healthcare marketing (B-to-B and B-to-C)
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines at the same time, and keep them moving forward as new priorities continually enter the mix
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation experience
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Non-compensated leadership experience (community outreach, committee involvement)
- Experience and interest in working on a team
- Flexibility in approach and willingness to adapt when necessary
- Sense of humor
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates should send a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position.
- Please, no telephone inquiries. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.