Business Development Executive (Healthcare Real Estate)
Real Estate | San Ramon, CA | Full Time
About the Company
Meridian is a full service commercial developer of and provider of real estate services.
Meridian invests in medical and general office real estate assets between $10 - 50M throughout California. Meridian is able to develop, renovate or repurpose existing buildings to meet its clients’ needs from 7,000-SF to over 100,000-SF. Meridian has completed numerous retail properties, clinics and medical practices, and general office buildings. We also seek to enhance the value of underperforming and underutilized medical office buildings through a strategic acquisition strategy. Meridian is an affiliate of the Marcus & Millichap Company, the parent company of a diversified group of real estate companies in the commercial investment, service and development industry. For more information, please visit www.mpcca.com
Job Description: The Business Development Executive – Healthcare Real Estate will be responsible to research, strategize and executive a new business development plan; targeting Medical Real Estate development projects throughout the Western US. Additionally, build and nurture key relationships with influencers and decision makers involved in the investment, development and management of healthcare-oriented real estate projects and portfolios. This role will be a market facing position with the flexibility of being located in either the Bay Area, Southern California, or other select Western US markets.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Business Development
- Identify and evaluate potential build-to-suit/preferred development opportunities that meet company strategy;
- Prepare and progressively update the healthcare business development pursuit and capture strategic plan targeting key Western markets, major Health Systems, competitive analysis and other critical factors;
- Study and understand Meridian’s value proposition, active pipeline and past projects to create an innovative and compelling market facing presentation/conversation, ensuring all key employees are enabled to spread a consistent message to targeted markets;
- Conduct market research and gather information on potential hospital clients and projects;
- Ability to compile and analyze data, comps and cap rates for financial analysis;
- Negotiate and present development strategies, joint venture agreements, letters-of-intent, leases, purchase-sale agreements and responses to requests for proposals;
- Collaborate effectively with the team to convert potential opportunities into real projects;
- Participate in project specific strategy to win meetings;
- Stay informed of market conditions and understand legislation which could impact the healthcare industry at large and its effect on real estate trends;
- Possess a professional understanding of the issues facing healthcare and how it impacts current and future real estate needs of the institution, as well as the impact of the capital markets on said real estate needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
(2) Public/Client Relations
- Identify, develop and maintain contacts within the healthcare industry and associated service providers focused on healthcare;
- Stay aware of the market impact on major healthcare systems, key personnel changes, merger & acquisition news and other key influencers on their hospitals and out-patient facilities;
- Attend industry meetings and conferences with a focus on corporate image, networking, expanding relationships and identifying future collaborations and opportunities;
- Thoroughly understand company strategy and maintain up-to-date knowledge of company’s key projects, as well an ability to speak knowledgeably of the company’s capabilities and advantages;
- Remain actively involved in several professional healthcare organizations and industry associations to promote company recognition; invited to participate on speaking panels to remain a relevant and well-recognized authority within the Healthcare Real Estate professional community.
- Other duties as assigned.
(3) Leadership Contributions
- Manage and contribute to the overall marketing vision and goals of Meridian, leading the internal process to create marketing/business development best practices, prioritize targets/markets and involves other key players to embrace the firm’s predominate marketing mission;
- Merge and evaluate team’s industry contacts to create move-forward strategies targeting key client / prospect out-reach;
- Stay abreast of regional and national competition regarding personnel changes, geographic tendencies, strengths/weaknesses and capital source as it relates to Meridian’s competitive position;
- Develop/embrace an on-going tracking system to monitor and share all relevant pending pursuits, existing projects and future targets and engage in on-going strategic internal dialogue in terms of positional and capture strategies;
- Assist with the development of Meridian staff and act as mentor to Business Development and Acquisitions Analysts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Attributes:
- BA/BS in Marketing, Business, Real Estate, Finance or related field;
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in the healthcare real estate field;
- A proven business development track record to identify and qualify new healthcare project opportunities along with the ability to create and maintain meaningful professional relationships;
- The ideal candidate will be an extremely motivated team player with high energy and drive to succeed;
- The candidate should possess a strong strategic mindset plus the ability to think intuitively;
- Experience in actively approaching industry professionals and building strong rapport with clients and organizations plus the ability to build relationships with key members of organizations and effectively interact with senior management level clients;
- Excellent interpersonal awareness with well-polished written and verbal communication skills commensurate to the hospital c-suite, including the ability to explain complex issues/data with clarity and impact;
- Self-driven professional with exceptional organizational skills capable of effectively managing time, energies and budgets;
- Direct experience sourcing and securing new healthcare related projects, as well as positive relationships with existing relevant healthcare contacts in the Western US region;
- A well-recognized healthcare real estate professional with an unblemished industry reputation;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, CoStar and other relevant software.
- Travel throughout Western US required with occasional overnight stays.