Purchasing & Inventory Assistant
Purchasing | Rockville, MD | Full Time
McCormick Paints is seeking a Purchasing & Inventory Assistant to support the purchasing department in procurement of materials and supplies, keep track of inventory and support all supply logistics. This position will also be responsible for various administrative duties. Reporting to the Director of Purchasing, this will be based out of our offices in Rockville, MD location.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The duties include, but are not limited to:
Manage & Maintain Purchase Orders
- Complete and maintain purchase orders for raw goods, materials, and supplies.
- Work closely with manufacturing and store operations departments to gather and submit orders.
- Obtain budget approvals for order requests
- Maintain detailed records of purchases, including quantities ordered and received, shipping information, and costs associated with the purchase
- Provide records & reports to department heads to facilitate budget reconciliation
Oversee Vendor Activities
- Build and maintain relationships with vendors, and support profitability
- Issue bid requests
- Support the process of negotiating price lists, comparing vendor offers for shipping rates and material prices, and maintaining vendor contract records.
- Participate in the implementation of an effective Quarterly Business Review process with key suppliers
- Assist in the review of vendor bids, in conducting of negotiations, and with decision-making
- Utilize a computerized inventory management software as well as participate in the visual inspections of inventory and storage spaces to ensure accuracy
- Work closely with the manufacturing & distribution departments to monitor the company’s inventory levels to determine when new purchases should be scheduled
- Assist in improving SKU rationalization, new product launches, product obsolescence and product discontinuation
- Assist in the continuous improvement of inventory accuracy
Oversee Shipping Schedules
- Coordinate and schedule outgoing shipments for returns and internal transfers
- Contact vendors to follow up on late or missing shipments or to report damaged goods
- Design and implementation of critical data models that are timely, relevant, and accurate
- Analyze large databases with critical information and present in a way that is easy to understand and review
- Other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of purchasing and inventory management experience
- Experience working as a purchasing assistant in the industry, preferred
- Strong knowledge of industry market trends and conditions
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and social skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Positive and professional demeanor
- Flexible to travel to meet with suppliers, distributors and manufacturers as required
- Proficiency with MS Office and comfort in using and learning new technologies
- Ability to stand for long period of time and work in a Distribution Center / Warehouse environment
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Founded in 1960, McCormick Paints is the largest and oldest family-owned independent paint manufacturer on the East Coast. This long history in the region has enabled McCormick to set itself apart from the competition by offering a unique combination of personalized services and regional expertise. McCormick Paints ensures that all customers get the right product for their specific needs and climate, earning the motto, “The Paint the Pros Use.” McCormick Paints prides itself on its agility to manufacture a custom paint solution for clients in the mid-Atlantic region, which national competitors may not be able to accomplish.
To support our growth plan, McCormick Paints is committed to recruiting and retaining top talent. We offer unique opportunities. In 2016, McCormick Paints was voted one of the top places to work by the Washington Post. As the company continues to expand its footprint across the mid-Atlantic region, family-owned and operated, McCormick Paints will remain a leader in the manufacturing and delivery of paints and coatings for clients looking to add value, protection and beauty to their property.
McCormick Paints is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.