Manager in Training, Maryland - Montgomery/Prince George
Retail MD | Gaithersburg, MD | Full Time
At McCormick Paints:
- We believe in promoting qualified candidates from within
- We believe in providing employees the opportunity to excel
- We believe in providing employees with the skills for a successful career
Join our Manager-in-Training program and have the opportunity for a successful career in Store Management!
We are now hiring the 2021 class for our Manager-in-Training program. This program is designed to provide you with skills in Management, Leadership, Store Operations, and the ability to build lasting relationships for success.
We will teach you everything you need to know about our stores, customers, employees and operations. As a Manager-in-Training you will learn skills and strategies for:
- Customer service
- Processes and procedures
- Sales and marketing
- Account management
- Personnel management and employee relations
- Profit and loss
- Merchandising management
- Paint and associated products
The Manager-in-Training program includes self-study modules, structured on-the-job training, instruction at our training centers, and an opportunity for continued education with McCormick Paints. Once a track record of success within the stores has been established, trainees are then eligible for professional management positions such as a Store Manager.
As Store Manager, you would be responsible for overseeing the daily operations of your assigned store. You would also be responsible for providing leadership and insight into the development and strategy of the store. You can grow the company’s market share by selling to customers such as painting contractors, builders, property managers, and other industry users.
As part of your on-the -job training, you will be responsible for the following functions, although additional duties may be added, as needed.
- Take the lead in establishing a customer service oriented, sales focused, positive and productive store culture
- Assist customers, identify customer needs, answer questions and provide solutions
- Process sales and payments
- Mix and match paint for customer orders, checking for accuracy
- Learn and participate in employee relations and personnel management
- Assist with accurate and timely processing of administrative paperwork
- Place orders with purchasing manager for special orders
- Participate in the receiving of inventory
- Take part in the merchandising, stocking, and cleaning of store shelves, counter areas and floors
- Familiarize yourself and take on increasing responsibility across all areas of McCormick Products, Processes and Procedures
- Develop an understanding of effective store management and ownership, including, but not limited to the sales process, inventory management, P&L review and personnel management
- Build relationships with different segment leaders throughout the organization
- Other duties as assigned
You are the ideal candidate for the Manager-in-Training program if you are ambitious, creative, personable, resourceful and hard-working. You are also adept at decision-making, problem-solving and multi-tasking.
Here are some qualifications you need to be considered:
- Bachelor or Associates degree, preferred
- 1+ years of retail experience, preferred
- Previous experience in paint or similar industry, preferred
- Spanish bi-lingual, preferred
- Willingness to relocate for promotional opportunities
- Ability to work effectively in a customer-centered environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong reading, writing and communication skills, with ability to interpret information accurately
- Ability to motivate a diverse group of people
- Dependable, flexible and have a professional demeanor
- A self-motivated, engaged, team player with a positive attitude
- Must have a clean driving record
- Must be able to retrieve material and regularly lift 50 pounds and sometimes up to 90 pounds.
- Must be able to distinguish the difference between colors in order to match and tint paint for customer orders
- Must be able to operate a computer and communicate via the telephone
- Maintain high standards of personal ethics; consistently honest and truthful in all situations
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must be at least 18 years of age
A bit of information about McCormick Paints:
- Excellent benefits and competitive pay
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance Package
- Disability & Life Insurance Package
- 401(k) with employer match
- Paid Vacation & Holidays
Founded in 1960, McCormick Paints is the largest and oldest family-owned independent paint manufacturer on the East Coast. This long history in the region has enabled McCormick to set itself apart from the competition by offering a unique combination of personalized services and regional expertise. McCormick Paints ensures that all customers get the right product for their specific needs and climate, earning the motto, “The Paint the Pros Use.” McCormick Paints prides itself on its ability to manufacture a custom paint solution for clients in the mid-Atlantic region, which national competitors may not be able to accomplish.
To support our growth plan, McCormick Paints is committed to recruiting and retaining top talent. We offer unique opportunities. In 2016, McCormick Paints was voted one of the top places to work by the Washington Post. As the company continues to expand its footprint across the mid-Atlantic region, family-owned and operated, McCormick Paints will remain a leader in the manufacturing and delivery of paints and coatings for clients looking to add value, protection and beauty to their property.
McCormick Paints is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.