Manager in Training - Maryland/DC
Retail | Washington, DC | Full Time
At McCormick Paints, we believe in providing employees the opportunity to excel and we strongly believe in promoting qualified candidates from within. Our Management Training Program is your first opportunity to get started and is designed to provide you with all the skills necessary for a successful career in store operations.
The Program is designed to develop skills that are integral in building lasting relationships with customers, as well as teach you everything you need to know about our products, processes and procedures so you can become an effective store manager. It includes self-study modules, structured on-the-job training, instruction at our training centers, and an opportunity for continued education with McCormick Paints.
As a Manager in Training, you will learn about the following topics: paint and associated products, customer service, professional sales and marketing, account management, personnel management, profit and loss and merchandising management.
Our Store Managers are responsible for overseeing the daily operations of their assigned store, in addition to providing leadership and insight into the development and strategy of the store. They help grow the company’s market share by selling to users such as painting contractors, builders, property managers, and other industry users. As a Manager in Training, you could end up running a similar operation once you have proven your ability perform in this role.
Once a track record of success within the stores has been established, employees may also become eligible for professional sales positions or management positions.
As part of your on-the -job training, you will be responsible for the following functions, although additional duties may be added, as needed.
- Take the lead in establishing a customer service oriented, sales focused, positive & productive store culture
- Assist customers, identify customer needs, answer questions and provide solutions
- Process sales and payments
- Mix & match paint for customer orders, checking for accuracy
- Learn and participate in personnel management, as necessary
- Assist with accurate & timely processing of administrative paperwork
- Place orders with purchasing manager for special orders
- Participate in the merchandising, stocking, and cleaning of store shelves, counter areas and floors
- Participate in the receiving of inventory
- Familiarize yourself and take on increasing responsibility across all areas of McCormick Products, Processes and Procedures
- Develop an understanding of effective store management and ownership, including, but not limited to the sales process, inventory management, P&L review and personnel management
- Build relationships with different segment leaders throughout the organization
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is ambitious, creative, personable, resourceful and hard-working — a leader adept at decision-making, problem-solving and multi-tasking.
- Bachelor or Associates degree, preferred
- 1+ years of retail experience, preferred
- Previous experience in paint or similar industry, preferred
- Spanish bi-lingual, preferred
- Ability to work effectively in a customer-centered environment
- Ability to motivate a diverse group of people
- Dependability, flexibility and professional demeanor
- A self-motivated, engaged, team player with a positive attitude
- Must have clean driving record
- Must be able to retrieve material and lift and carry between 50 lbs.
- Must be able to distinguish the difference between colors in order to match and tint paint for customer orders
- Must be able to operate a computer and communicate via the telephone
- Maintains high standards of personal ethics; is consistently honest and truthful in all situations
- Strong reading, writing and communication skills, with ability to interpret information accurately
- Must be able to pass background check
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance Package
- Disability & Life Insurance Package
- 401(k) with employer match
- Paid Vacation & Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave
Founded in 1960, McCormick Paints is the largest and oldest family-owned independent paint manufacturer on the East Coast. This long history in the region has enabled McCormick to set itself apart from the competition by offering a unique combination of personalized services and regional expertise. McCormick Paints ensures that all customers get the right product for their specific needs and climate, earning the motto, “The Paint the Pros Use.” McCormick Paints prides itself on its agility to manufacture a custom paint solution for clients in the mid-Atlantic region, which national competitors may not be able to accomplish.
To support our growth plan, McCormick Paints is committed to recruiting and retaining top talent. We offer unique opportunities for advancement and a competitive benefits package. As the company continues to expand its footprint across the mid-Atlantic region, family-owned and operated, McCormick Paints will remain a leader in the manufacturing and delivery of paints and coatings for clients looking to add value, protection and beauty to their property.
McCormick Paints is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.