Registered Nurse RN Case Manager
Hospice | Durant, OK | Full Time
Job Title/Position: Registered Nurse Case Manager
Reports To: Branch Supervisor/Director of Clinical Services
Job Description Summary
The registered nurse plans, organizes and directs hospice care and is experienced in nursing, with emphasis on community health education/experience. The professional nurse builds from the resources of the community to plan and direct services to meet the needs of individual and families within their homes and communities.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. One (1) to two (2) years of recent acute care experience in an institutional setting, prefer one (1) to two (2) years of recent experience in hospice or home care.
- Current licensure in State, and valid driver’s license.
- Management experience not required. Responsible for supervising hospice aides.
- Excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, basic math skills; nursing skills per competency checklist.
- Prolonged or considerable walking or standing. Able to lift, position and/or transfer patients. Able to lift supplies and equipment. Considerable reaching, stooping bending, kneeling and/or crouching. Visual acuity and hearing to perform required nursing skills.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Completes an initial assessment of patient and family to determine hospice needs. Provides a complete physical assessment and history of current and previous illness(es).
- Provides professional nursing care by utilizing all elements of nursing process.
- Assesses and evaluates patient’s status by:
- Writing and initiating plan of care
- Regularly re-evaluating patient and family/caregiver needs
- Revising the plan of care as necessary
- Initiates the plan of care and makes necessary revisions as patient status and needs change.
- Uses health assessment data to determine nursing diagnosis.
- Develops a care plan that establishes goals, based on nursing diagnosis and incorporates palliative nursing actions. Includes the patient and the family in the planning process.
- Initiates appropriate preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures. Monitors medications and treatments as prescribed by the physician.
- Counsels the patient and family in meeting nursing and related needs.
- Provides health care instructions to the patient as appropriate per assessment and plan.
- Assists the patient with the activities of daily living and facilitates the patient’s and family’s efforts toward dealing with a terminal diagnosis and the grieving process while providing comfort care.
- Acts as Case Manager when assigned by Clinical Supervisor and assumes responsibility to coordinate patient care for assigned caseload.
- Completes, maintains and submits accurate and relevant clinical notes regarding patient’s condition and care given. Records pain/symptom management changes/outcomes as appropriate.
- Communicates with the physician regarding the patient’s needs and reports changes in the patient’s condition; obtains/receives physicians’ orders as required.
- Communicates with the members of the interdisciplinary team to coordinate the plan of care.
- Teaches the patient and caregiver self-care techniques as appropriate. Provides instructions on medication, comfort measure, and diet as ordered by the physician and utilizes opportunities for offering psychosocial and spiritual counseling for patients and families/caregivers through the hospice social worker and chaplain.
- Aids in maintaining a safe environment for the patient.
- Assists the patient and family/caregiver and other team members in providing continuity of care.
- Works in cooperation with the family/caregiver and hospice Interdisciplinary Team Members to meet the emotional needs of the patient and family/caregiver.
- Attends Interdisciplinary Group meetings.
- Participates in on-call duties as defined by the on-call policy.
- Ensures that arrangements for equipment and other necessary items and services
- Supervises ancillary personnel and delegates responsibilities when required.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development and maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice skills through attendance and participation in continuing education and in-service classes.
- Fulfills the obligation of requested and/or accepted case assignments.
- Actively participates in quality management program.
- Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication.
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, which may include heavy lifting and extensive bending and standing.
- Ability to deal effectively with stress.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Agency personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, agency personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job related skills and abilities. All agency personnel must attend mandatory educational programs.
I have read, and fully understand all information in the above job description. I meet the stated job qualifications, and am mentally and physically able to perform the responsibilities and duties of the above job description.