PRN Speech-Language Pathologist
Home Health | Altus, OK | Part Time
TITLE: Speech-Language Pathologist
REPORTS TO: Branch Supervisor
- Meets the education and experience requirements for a Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology, granted by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
2. Is certified/licensed in the state to practice Speech-Language Pathology.
3. Prefer a minimum of one year's clinical experience in Speech-Language Pathology.
4. Has good oral and written communication skills; has good organizational skills.
5. Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate skills for communicating with individual ages of those served, primarily the geriatric population.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The qualified therapist assists the physician in evaluating level of function, helps develop the plan of care (revising it as necessary), prepares clinical and progress notes, advises and consults with the family and other agency personnel; and participates in in-service programs (COP §484.32). The speech-language pathologist is responsible for implementation of standards of care for speech language pathology services.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Provides services in speech pathology or audiology in accordance with the plan of care as signed by the physician. Accepts only patient/clients referred by the Branch Supervisor.
2. Assists the physician in assessing the patient/client's level of functioning and the development (and revision, as necessary) of the plan of care by applying appropriate tests for speech, hearing and language disorders. Assesses home environment (as appropriate), identifies equipment needs relative to speech/language function.
3. Assesses patient/client's communication, oral-motor integrity, cognitive status, memory and problem solving activities, hearing and speech fluency and quality. Identifies functional speech defects and establishes a plan of care to improve patient's/client's function.
4. Administers speech therapy program utilizing specialized therapeutic technique and/or equipment.
5. Recommends communication devices/aids as indicated. Recommends hearing tests by audiologist. Checks hearing aides.
6. Records and reports to the physician and/or Branch Supervisor and RN Case Manager the patient/client's reaction to treatment and any changes in the patient/client's condition. Confers with the RN Case Manager to ensure coordinated and comprehensive care contributes to the total plan of care.
7. Develops, prepares and maintains individualized patient/client care progress records with accuracy, timeliness and according to policies. Submits accurate documentation.
8. Maintains clinical competency in speech language pathology practice and theory. Responsible to keep current in speech pathology trends and knowledge. Participates in in-service programs.
9. Coordinates the total plan of care and maintains continuity of patient/client care by liaison with other health professionals. Participates in Patient/client care coordination. Initiates Patient/client care coordination for complex and/or multidisciplinary patient/clients whenever needed or helpful to ensure good coordination of care. Identifies patient/client needs for other services and refers as appropriate. Plans for patient/client discharge from services.
10. Instructs, advises patient/client and/or family/caregiver and other organization health care personnel in certain phases of speech pathology in which they may assist the patient's/client's treatment regime as indicated.
11. Supervises home health aide in at least every 14 days, teaches Aide in duties, procedures directly related to the speech-language therapy plan of care as needed, assesses patient’s/client's need for unskilled care and revises plan of care as appropriate. Communicates Plan of Care changes to patient/client and Branch Supervisor/RN Case Manager as often as necessary. Communicates changes in Plan of Care to Aide as appropriate.
12. Performs other duties as required to facilitate the delivery of speech language pathology services.
13. Cooperates and consults with appropriate staff to provide staff education when requested and arranged by the Branch Supervisor.
14. Responsible for following all policies and procedures of the Agency, regarding service delivery, documentation, and care coordination.
15. Participates in Quality Improvement program of the agency. Can verbalize own responsibilities and activities.
Other aspects and demands of the job not listed above:
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
- Community and home environment,
2. Exposure to infectious diseases
3. In and out of automobile.
4. This position has been designated Class I Field clinical staff (see Infection/Exposure Control Plan). Employees performing Class I Field clinical staff duties may be involved in potential exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials. All Class I Field clinical staff employees will be offered Hepatitis B vaccination at no expense to the employee.
- Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication.
2. Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, which may include heavy lifting/moving and extensive bending and standing.
3. Ability to deal effectively with stress.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Must meet the required continuing education hours for state licensure as applicable. Agency personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, agency personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job related skills and abilities. All agency personnel must attend mandatory educational programs.
I have read, and fully understand all information in the above job description. I meet the stated job qualifications, and am mentally and physically able to perform the responsibilities and duties of the above job description.