Part Time Medical Social Worker
Hospice | Guymon, OK | Part Time
MEDICAL SOCIAL WORKER
TITLE: Medical Social Worker
REPORTS TO: Branch Supervisor
1. Is a graduate of a Master's program in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and has 1 year of social work experience in a health care setting (COP §484.4).
2. Experience in a home health care, preferred.
3. Has good oral and written communication skills; and has good organizational skills.
4. Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate skills for communicating with individual ages of those served, primarily the geriatric population.
5. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or Agency requirements and is in good working order.
6. Demonstrates an ability to supervise and direct professional personnel.
7. Has an ability to deal tactfully with the community.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The medical social worker is responsible for the implementation of standards of care for medical social work services. The social worker assists the physician and other team members in understanding the significant social and emotional factors related to the health problems, participates in the development of the plan of care, prepares clinical and progress notes, works with the family, uses appropriate community resources, participates in discharge planning and in-service programs, and acts as a consultant to other agency personnel (COP §484.36).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Assesses and reassesses the social and emotional factors and the psychosocial status of patients/clients related to the patient's/client's illness and environment in order to help patient/client and family to cope with problems in daily living and to help them follow medical recommendations and the total plan for treatment to maximize the patient/client's health condition.
2. Provides social work services in accordance with the physician’s plan of care signed by the physician. Accepts only patient/clients referred by the branch supervisor. Carries out social evaluations and plans intervention based on evaluation findings.
3. Develops, prepares, and maintains individualized clinical records on all patients/clients referred to social work with accuracy, timeliness and according to policies. Submits accurate documentation within two working days of visit.
4. Provides information and referral services for organization patients/clients and families/caregivers regarding practical and environmental needs. Assists the physician and other members of the home health team to understand the significance of social and emotional factors related to the patient/client's care.
5. Counsels patient/clients and families necessary to facilitate the medical plan of care.
6. Recognizes and utilizes community and family resources to assist patient/client in long term plans for life in the community or to learn to live within patient/client's disability. Provides information to patients/clients or families/caregivers and community agencies.
7. Serves as liaison between patients/clients or families/caregivers and community agencies.
8. Maintains collaborative relationships with organization agency personnel to support patient/client care. Coordinates the total plan of care and maintains continuity of patient/client care by liaison with other health professionals. Participates in Patient/client care coordination.
9. Maintains and develops contracts with public and private agencies as resources for patient/client and agency personnel.
10. Develops plan of care with RN Case Manager, physician, patient/client and family to deal with personal, financial, and environmental difficulties which interfere with health and wellness continuum.
11. Participates in discharge planning.
12. Promotes community relations and stays knowledgeable regarding social work needs in the community for purposes of broadening service base of the agency. Participates in In-service programs.
13. Cooperates with appropriate staff to provide staff education when indicated by need. Coordinates with branch supervisor.
14. Responsible for following all policies and procedures of the Agency, regarding service delivery, documentation, and care coordination.
15. Participates in Quality Improvement program of the agency. Can verbalize own responsibilities and activities.
Other aspects and demands of the job not listed above:
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. Community and home environment,
2. Exposure to infectious diseases
3. In and out of automobile.
4. This position has been designated Class II Clinical management staff (see Infection/Exposure Control Plan). Employees performing Class II Clinical management staff duties may be involved in potential exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials. All Class II Clinical management staff employees will be offered Hepatitis B vaccination at no expense to the employee.
1. Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication.
2. Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, which may include heavy lifting/moving and extensive bending and standing.
3. Must be able to adapt to patient’s/client's status and needs.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Must meet the required continuing education hours for state licensure as applicable. Agency personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, agency personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job related skills and abilities. All agency personnel must attend mandatory educational programs.
I have read, and fully understand all information in the above job description. I meet the stated job qualifications, and am mentally and physically able to perform the responsibilities and duties of the above job description.