Medical Social Worker Hospice
Hospice | Guymon, OK | Full Time
Health Watch Hospice
Job Title/Position: Medical Social Worker
Reports To: Hospice Director/Administrator
Job Description Summary
The medical social worker employed through the organization is responsible for the implementation of standards of care for medical social work services and for adherence to all conditions in the Service or Employment Agreement.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Assesses the psychosocial status of patients and families/caregivers related to the patient's terminal illness and environment and communicates findings to the registered nurse and other members of the interdisciplinary group. Provides an assessment in the patient's identified residence and assistance when this is not safe and another plan is required.
- Carries out social evaluations and plans intervention based on evaluation findings. Counsel’s patient and family/caregivers as needed in relationship to stress, and other identified coping difficulties.
- Maintains clinical records on all patients referred to social work.
- Provides information and referral services for organization patients and families/caregivers regarding practical and environmental needs.
- Provides information to patients and families/caregivers and community agencies.
- Serves as liaison between patients and families/caregivers and community agencies.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with organization personnel to support patient care.
- Maintains and develops contracts with public and private agencies as resources for patient and personnel.
- Participates in the development of the plan of care and attends regularly scheduled interdisciplinary group meetings.
- Assists physician and other team members in understanding significant social and emotional factors related to health problems and death/dying issues.
- Participates in discharge planning when needed. Assists patient and family/caregiver with securing durable power of attorney and with funeral arrangements, as needed.
- Other duties as delegated by the Hospice Director/Administrator.
- A graduate of a Master’s program in social work accredited by the Council on
Social Work Education.
- Must be Licensed in practicing state
- Minimum of one (1) year's experience in health care, hospice experience preferred. Understands hospice philosophy, and issues of death/dying.
- Experience in a hospice care preferred.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication, and organization skills.
- Possesses and maintains current CPR Certification.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.