Senior Backend Engineer
Engineering | Denver, CO | Full Time
Senior Back-End Engineer
Maxwell is on a mission to transform the $8.5T residential mortgage market by re-imagining how loan officers work together with borrowers to buy a home.
Based in beautiful Denver, Colorado, Maxwell is a VC-funded, Techstars-backed company with a mission to empower mortgage lenders to be more connected, productive, and successful.
WHO ARE WE?
Maxwell was founded in 2015 by three friends who were fed up with the arduous process of getting a mortgage. We believe everyone who is buying a home deserves a delightful mortgage experience.
After speaking with hundreds of lenders, home buyers and real estate agents, Maxwell was born as a solution to provide mortgage professionals a modern platform that transforms and enhances their workflow. Buying a home is one of the happiest, most fulfilling experiences of a person’s life. We help make the mortgage just as fun.
We also believe that doing well means also doing good: a portion of all of Maxwell’s revenues is dedicated to building homes for those who need them most in Haiti and El Salvador.
WHO ARE YOU?
You are an experienced senior engineer with a strong orientation towards back-end systems and services. You are looking for a position where you’ll get to build key systems and lay down the foundation for our mortgage platform. As a full-time senior member of the engineering team, you’ll help lead the effort to build and operate our software systems while also contributing to the decisions that will steer the product’s future. As a senior engineer you will also mentor our team of talented technologists and work closely with our product team.
You need to be comfortable with deployment environments, writing database queries, building out backend services, and implementing APIs. We integrate with many third party services, so experience with a variety of third party APIs is a plus. In the past you have built and managed scaled platforms which enable many different users and use cases.
You’ll be a critical part of our product development team which is design, frontend and backend engineering combined. You’ll use your education and experience to inform our engineering process and decisions when building new features, enhancing existing functionality, and ensuring the availability of the entire platform.
Be prepared to...
Prioritize and then Execute. We focus on training our engineers to thoughtfully make an impact everyday and over the long term.
Be a teammate people trust and enjoy working with. We focus on building an inclusive work environment where everyone’s voice is heard, respected and encouraged.
Grow yourself and others. Be an active learner. We focus on training our engineers to be experts, mentors and leaders.
At Maxwell we are building a product development organization which:
- Delivers delightful products by reliably and quickly producing high quality systems.
- Is full of teammates people trust and love working with.
- Is highly capable and competent across multiple domains and technologies.
- Can gracefully make trade-offs against multiple conflicting constraints.
- Aggressively overcomes obstacles to deliver amazing results.
- Delivers valuable, and trustworthy experiences to our customers and partners.
- Focuses on learning and improving it’s team members skills and abilities.
- Enables its members to be long term successful engineers and technologists.
- Has a vibrant culture and evidence based practices (Lean/Agile/DevOps practices).
- Can deliver the solutions needed today (APIs, SaaS Mortgages, Integrations, Cloud Tech) and tomorrow (ML, Big Data).
WHAT IS OUR STACK?
- Back-end: Ruby on Rails (Rails 4.x)
- Databases/Datastores: Postgres, Redis, Memcache
- Infrastructure: Heroku, AWS, Lambdas, SQS, and more.
- Domains: APIs, Microservice Architecture, Monitoring/Telemetry, Scaled Architectures
WHAT YOU GET
An opportunity to be a key part of an agile team of thinkers and doers collaborating to help people complete complex financial transactions with elegant solutions. We offer meaningful equity at an early stage company, a competitive salary, top-tier medical, dental and vision insurance, and generous vacation time.