Principal Engineer Platform
Engineering | Denver, CO | Full Time
Maxwell | Principal Engineer Platform | Denver, CO | ONSITE
Over the last three years, Maxwell has helped over a hundred thousand borrowers get the mortgage of their dreams, doing so our platform has helped lenders make over 37 billion dollars in mortgages. We do this by providing a robust platform built using integrations with many of the world's leading loan origination systems, credit reporting agencies, capital pricing platforms and leading SaS systems like Twilio, Sendgrid, and Box. As we continue to grow and help more and more borrowers we recognize that smart integrations and a robust platform are key to our competitive advantage. This is where you come in!
As the Principal Engineer for the platform team, you are responsible for ensuring the stability, security, speed, and successful operations of our core systems. You will also be building out new integrations to provide even greater speed, flexibility and options for our lenders and borrowers to help get people into the homes of their dreams.
This is a player-coach role, which means you will spend some of your days delivering as an individual contributor with much of it dedicated to the leadership, management, planning and growth of your team and systems.
As a true servant leader, you will build and empower a trustworthy and diverse team. You will foster and enable a high-performance, low ego, safe culture. On a daily basis, you will demonstrate your excellent communication skills, technical acumen, and scrappy, problem-solving mindset. You will work to improve yourself, our systems, products, and people.
As a Principal Engineer at Maxwell, you will lead your team to achieve engineering excellence by producing high-quality designs, plans, estimates, bug fixes and ultimately a secure, stable, and performant platform for the Maxwell application.
Week to week you will be responsible for:
* Review and improve engineering processes (estimation, planning, implementation, QA, bug fixing, lifecycle management, security audits).
* Ensure people are in the right roles and levels. That they understand expectations for their level and are either meeting or exceeding expectations. Manage performance as needed.
* Work daily with the product and design team to ensure what we are delivering is meeting success criteria. Negotiate on the scope as needed to maximize our ROI and ability to meet commitments.
* Weekly 1:1s with each team member of the platform team.
* Hire additional team members for the platform team. Understand the skill gaps on the existing team, write job descriptions, actively recruit and manage the hiring process to a successful hire.
* Manage the day to day and week to week operations of the platform team by hosting and facilitating daily standups, planning meetings, retrospectives, team meetings.
* Work with the VP of Engineering to measure and report the output of the team in story points.
* Work with the VP of Engineering to plan the evolution of the platform team, recommend hiring plans with an eye towards achieving our 6 to 12 month roadmap.
* Work with the CTO and other engineers to select technologies, layout our technology strategy and make smart technical decisions which deliver leverage to your team.
* Work with the tech lead for the platform to properly account for inter-team dependencies, sharing best practices, building leverage and synergy across teams.
Maxwell tech leads: check in often with their engineering leaders to ensure that they are on target to meet expectations and get help. Stay tactically focused on execution and day to day problem-solving. Pay attention to our strategic vision and connect daily work, their plans and actions to that vision. Pace set the team and challenge assumptions. Surface risks and overcome obstacles. Ensure technical designs and technical considerations are documented.
Our stack: RoR w/React/Redux running in Heroku and AWS. We are a Lean & Agile team working to move solidly to DevOps in 2019.
Our future: We are rapidly heading to our series A working within a $2.5 trillion market for making loans; in 2018 our platform helped closed $11 billion dollars in mortgages. We expect to double our team in 2019.
You are: kind, rigorous, curious, and mission-driven, and you want a mission that matters. We focus on building leaders, developer happiness, professional growth, and continuous learning.
We are building the kind of company we all want to work for, and we are looking for experienced, highly capable engineers who want to fix this problem with us. Mavericks and change agents. People crazy enough to think they can change the world by starting with the humble mortgage.
Are you in?