Special Assistant, Museum Collections Processing Enhancement
Special Assistants | Triangle, VA | Part Time
Under the direction of the History Division (HD) Archivists, the Assistant will assist with all aspects of archives collections management including to basic archival accessioning, holdings maintenance, arrangement, description, preservation and reference assistance, primarily in support of collections related to the National Museum of the Marine Corps activities.
Position is limited to 29 hours per week with a term not to exceed three years.
- Processing new acquisitions, found-in-collections, and legacy collections: including researching, describing, preservation care, physical re-housing, and scanning,
- Perform basic image capture, enhancement, file organization tasks and technical/administrative metadata for cataloging collections
- Assist in implementing best practices in archives collection storage areas by re-housing and inventorying permanent collection objects
- Assist in public research requests, donor/vendor relations, and other outreach activities including newsletter articles
- Other duties as needed including clerical and maintenance duties
- Knowledge of American and USMC history
- Basic knowledge of archives, records management and historical research
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office and G-suite applications
- Preferred degree in U.S. history, archival science, or library science.
The environmental factors and/or physical requirements of this position include the following: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard. The employee frequently is required to be in one position for long periods of screen use, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear both in person and over devices. The employee interacts in close spaces and frequently with other workers, vendors, and guests. May be in situations which require conflict resolution. The position works in a museum environment with artificial light and air.
The Marine Corps Heritage Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.