Corporate Accountant (entry level)
Corporate Services | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
About the Company: Marcus & Millichap Company (MMC) is a real estate leader and pioneer with a diverse family of companies offering Premier Real Estate Services, Real Estate Investments and Real Estate Developments. Each MMC company is a distinct fusion of real estate specialization and innovation powered by a culture of loyalty that permeates throughout the Marcus & Millichap organization. To find out more about the company, visit www.mmcrealestate.com.
If you are a recent graduate with 1-2 years of experience working in accounting who is looking to put your Accounting and/or Finance degree to good use, then read on! We’re hiring an entry level Corporate Accountant to join our team in Palo Alto, California! This is a new position as a result of growth in the Company. Reporting directly to the Assistant Controller, the Corporate Accountant will focus on consolidating and analyzing property financials submitted by our subsidiary team and work closely with the Corporate Senior Accountant to facilitate the close process of our MMC corporate entity. This position addresses a multitude of accounting activities including account reconciliation, general ledger preparation, financial reporting, and year-end audit preparation; the Corporate Accountant also supports budget and forecasting activities. Please note MMC has a fiscal year end of March 31.
This role is great opportunity for those who would like to utilize and develop their existing skills. This role offers growth opportunities and provides vast experience in the corporate entity of a highly successful and dynamic real estate organization located in the Bay Area. You will have a huge amount of ownership over your work and working alongside a strong accounting management team.
We’re in a great location - near Caltrain with good restaurants and shops within walking distance.
Primary Responsibilities & Objectives:
- Manage monthly review, analysis and consolidation of property financials, as well as prepare property variance analyses on income statement, balance sheet, cash flow, actual/budget variances to facilitate monthly close of corporate entity (MMC)
- Record corporate transactions into the general ledger
- Understand the recording of transactions in the general ledger (including properties) in order to prepare monthly/quarterly consolidated reporting packages
- Prepare monthly/quarterly account reconciliations, bank reconciliations and other schedules.
- Maintain fixed assets, as well as associated depreciation and amortization in SAP; ensure proper recording of new purchases and disposals
- Support various collaborative projects, including assistance with the development of company forecasts and business plans, and the preparation of metric reports
- Document your procedures and streamline processes when possible
- Prepare schedules for the annual audit and provide audit support as needed
- Prepare schedules and other information for the purpose of tax returns
- Other projects as needed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The ideal candidate must be thorough and detail-oriented
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (pivot tables, array formulas, macros, etc.) are required
- Demonstrated technical accounting knowledge
- Problem solving skills with a proven ability in creative thinking and issue resolution
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Previous interaction with internal / external auditors is required
- Able to work independently, as well as simultaneously manage multiple projects
- ERP knowledge is preferred (i.e. SAP)
- Must be a focused, team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment
Education & Experience
- BS degree in Accounting, Finance or similar field
- Entry level accounting role; minimum 1-2 years working experience
- Real estate experience is a plus