Verification of Benefits Specialist
Billing | Austin, TX (Frontera Crossing) | Full Time
The Verification of Benefits Specialist is responsible for contacting insurance companies to verify patient insurance coverage. The VOB Specialist ensures insurance coverage by telephone, resolves any issues with coverage and escalates complicated issues to a supervisor. The VOB Specialist is responsible for updating patient benefit information in MAP’s insurance system and verifying that existing information is accurate.
· Compiles medical insurance verification of benefit and eligibility information submitted by
client for processing within contracted timelines
· Ensures verification of benefit and eligibility information obtained from payer/insurance company is accurate
· Inability to obtain a verification of benefit or incomplete information is reported to manager immediately
· Responsible for maintaining a system for initial and subsequent verification of benefits
· Responsible for daily reporting of verification of benefit activities
· Prepares and maintains individual patient file, documentation in electronic HIPAA compliant application (Box)
· Keeps supervisor apprised of matters regarding verification of benefits
· Represents Company in a professional manner at all times
· Keeps current with third party/payers guidelines
· Maintain high-integrity and honesty in all affairs
- This is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Supervisory Duties: No
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High school diploma or GED
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Attention to detail and ability to complete the job with minimal errors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- 4-year college degree and/or medical billing/coding certificate
- The employee will work in a standard office environment with repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to approximately 10 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform functions.