Charge Entry Specialist
RCS - Billing | Frontera Crossing Office, ATX | Full Time
Responsible for entering charges accurately into the billing system. Codes ICD 10 as needed, for entry intothe charge capture system for all billable procedures, visits, tests, consultations, etc.; both inpatient and outpatient.
- Compiles charge information and assists in coding when needed. Ensures charge information provided is correct and accurate.
- Responsible for maintaining a system of billing accuracy through encounter verification (facilitycensus, charge tickets, UR tracking, medical records, etc.) Gathers and verifies all informationrequired to produce a clean claim including special billing procedures that may be defined by a payer or contract.
- Follows ICD10 codes to insure diagnostic codes are appropriate for each specialty. Assists in charge capture by reviewing provider documentation and patient documentation.
- Balances charge summary to encounter forms keyed before updating charges. Keeps supervisor apprised of matters regarding charge entry.
- Follows coverage guidelines for coding.
- Keeps current with third party/payers specific coding guidelines.
- Periodically reviews with departmental staff of encounter forms or coding forms to ensure they arecurrent.
- Maintains a system of billing accuracy.
- This is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Supervisory Duties: No
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Certified coder, (MCR/MCD/Tricare) government payers experience required.
- One year billing experience required.
- Three years experience with charge entry in a medical billing environment preferred.
- Courses in Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology; Microsoft experience preferred.