Distillation Production Director for Omega Oil Plant
Production | London, UK, United Kingdom | Full Time
Lyxia is pre-commercial stage biotechnology company that is dedicated to the sustainable development, production and commercialization of specialty ingredients derived from natural microalgae. Our portfolio includes unique nutritional, personal care, and pharmaceutical intermediate products produced from both phototrophic and heterotrophic algae.
Location: 40% travel to Shenzhen, China, and Portugal
We are looking for an experienced, innovative and passion-driven Production Director to lead the (operation) development, optimization, a scale-up up of our downstream process to commercially produce valuable specialty omega-3 lipids from marine microalgae for food and nutraceutical application.
Duties would include, but are not limited to, development of novel processes and optimization of existing processes to effectively extract, purify, and formulate specialty lipid products for human nutrition, personal care, and active pharmaceutical intermediate applications while managing cost and achieving quality and safety standards.
- Work with the current team of downstream production to develop and improve process including lipid extraction, purification, solvent recovery and formulation for the Company’s microalgal omega-3 product line.
- Cooperate with the current team of downstream R&D to design and execute process R&D plans so as to further implement newly developed and improved processes.
- Develop and update the current standard operating procedures and manage the training of engineer and workers for newly updated SOPs to ensure efficient operations.
- Ensure downstream processes and operations comply with EHS and Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory (FSQR) regulations. Coordinate with QA dept to facilitate the system establishment including BRC, Kosher, Halal, NSF, cGMP, etc.
- Investigate, design, and manage process economics.
- Accountable for department budget expenses and usage to remain within budget
- Masters or PhD in chemical engineering or degree in comparable area
- 8+ years’ experience in oleochemical processing, purification, and formulation, or comparable experience
- 5+ project management or equivalent experience
- Able to develop and maintain good working relationships with peers, subordinates, and superiors.
- Able to develop and build effective teams.
- Able to appropriately set priorities
- Experience with work safety, environment, health and food safety issues.
- Routine physical activity including standing, walking, typing, climbing, lifting, light outside work and occasional confined spaces
- Ability and willingness to work for extended periods at Lyxia’s operation in Guangxi, China as needed.
- English, preferably Chinese or Portuguese