Senior Software Engineer
Engineering | Remote US | Full Time
Lytics, the customer data platform (CDP) built for marketing teams, improves your business performance by connecting the right data to Lytics’ powerful AI engine. By combining unique behavioral insights, machine learning, and real-time campaign orchestration, Lytics equips marketers with the tools to create unique one-to-one marketing campaigns and engagements based on each user’s interests and customer journey. Some of the world’s most innovative brands use Lytics’ CDP technology, including General Mills, Live Nation, Nestlé Purina, AEG, Industry Dive, and Yamaha. We are looking for smart, passionate, and dedicated individuals to grow with us and deliver great value to our customers and company.
Software Engineers on the Lytics Data Engineering team are responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of Lytics’ data pipeline and end user API endpoints related to the data pipeline, and work in collaboration with other teams like Data Science and Platform.
The team builds upon Google BigTable, Google PubSub, Google Cloud Storage, Etcd, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, and writes systems in Go which are deployed into Google Kubernetes Engine.
Data Engineering is a team of distributed systems engineers; we’re looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Has 5+ years of experience with concurrent programming in a distributed system
- Has experience writing data-intensive server side systems
- Has experience with lexers, parsers, and interpreters, preferably in the area of event stream evaluation
- Is proficient in Go or would like to learn Go but is an expert in another language
- Has experience with a distributed NoSQL database like Cassandra, BigTable, or Dynamo
- Has experience with stream processing systems like Spark or Storm Streaming, or has experience with map reduce like systems
- Has experience with persistent queues like Kafka, Google PubSub, AWS Kinesis or AWS SQS
- Has ability to communicate sensitively and attentively
- Has ability to communicate complex technical designs in written form
- Be a key contributor to the development of Lytics’ data processing pipeline in all aspects such as availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, metrics, and future directions in its design
- Work with team members to design, document, and implement large-scale distributed streams and batch processes for petabytes of data using Go
- Provide tooling and infrastructure for other internal teams, including Engineering, Customer Success, and Sales
You will be working on a small team of talented and passionate engineers. Since the team is small, each individual is given a lot of freedom and responsibility to manage their day-to-day activities. Projects at Lytics are not spec sheets handed down to the engineering teams; they are open-ended problem statements that are solved and implemented by the same people.
We are also serious about testing and automation. We want to focus on shipping great features and iterating on our designs. Because of this, continuous integration and continuous deployment are both very important to us. You will get to take advantage of this on Day One.
We are committed to communicating projects and transparency. GitHub is our primary tool for source control, code review, issue tracking, and project planning. Everyone in our organization is given access to be a part of the conversation. For everything else, there is Slack.
We value the developer community at large and believe that the best way for the world to have great software is if great minds are sharing. This is why we find ways to take the tools we write and turn them into open source projects usable by other people facing similar challenges. Check out http://lytics.github.io/ for example.
- A self-learner, critical thinker and problem-solving individual
- A self-starter with an ability to keep focus, request input at appropriate times, and deliver
- Software engineering knowledge in data structures, concurrent programming, distributed systems, and query processing
- Experience with ETCD or Zookeeper
- Experience working with Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience writing Go not required but a huge plus
- Experience with Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery, or any other large scale OLAP relational database
Should You Apply?
Well, yes! If you don't think you meet all the recommended requirements, that's okay! If you are excited about Lytics, Go, stream processing, distributed systems, data processing, machine learning, and/or marketing, we would love to chat; we may have an opportunity for you. Be sure to include a link to your GitHub or other accessible samples of your work.
Why Work at Lytics?
You will be working in a company with tons of talent, that is in a rapidly growing space with plenty of opportunity. Since we are not a large company you will be able to learn everyone's name, and knowledge transfers quickly across the entire company. In addition the Lytics team is professional, open with sharing ideas and leadership is more than ready to help provide guidance on making you successful.
At Lytics, we recruit and reward employees based on performance and capability, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, educational background, national origin, religion, or physical ability.
Our goal at Lytics is to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We know that the best ideas & the best solutions happen when people bring their uniqueness to work with them. Inclusion is an integral part of how we leverage that uniqueness into our company. Creating a culture of equality and respect isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also the smart thing. Diverse companies are more innovative and better positioned to succeed in emerging technologies.
We are committed to taking care of our team, and along with providing a competitive salary and great benefits for employees and their families, we are dedicated to making sure there are a variety of methods for staff to grow their skills and further their careers. Benefits include affordable health insurance, 401K, flexible PTO, stock options, remote work connectivity benefits, life insurance and disability plans.
To get started, click on the link below. To fast track your application, let us know in your cover letter why this job and company is of particular interest to you. We look forward to talking!