Engineering | Beaverton, OR | Full Time
Lumencor, Inc., based in Beaverton, Oregon, manufactures high-performance solid state lighting subsystems, "light engines," for bioanalytical instruments, medical devices and life science research tools. Products are sold worldwide to equipment manufacturers (OEMs), distributors, laboratories and individual researchers. The company is seeking Optics Engineer to contribute to the production of Lumencor light engines and accessories.
The Optics Engineer is responsible for executing experiments, conducting product performance testing and generating documentation in support of engineering and new product development efforts. Collaboration with and/or oversight of technical team members is expected to assist in coordinating new product development programs and managing their maturation into production ready hardware. The role is envisioned for an autonomous, technically proficient, independent thinker with personal initiative as well as the ability to work within a team. The ideal candidate will operate in a transparent manner while owning key responsibilities with technical expertise and an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Design and execute proof of concept and prototype studies with emphasis on the optimization of optical designs for lighting and screening products
- Optimize the build of new optical systems, products and product testing as needed by senior engineering staff
- Observe, collate data and report back on experimental findings and development tasks
- Document design and assembly tasks related to new and existing product development
- Support in-house service of new products in the form of documentation, training and troubleshooting
- Assist in the maturation of optical designs and finished products from the product development group into full production
- Research and develop new lighting designs including various solid state source technologies, new source materials and their integration with various optical elements for lighting and screening equipment
- Design optical beam trains, set up optical systems and utilize laser diagnostic equipment to determine laser performance
- Test electronic circuitry and software alongside optical components with specific characteristics to fit within specified mechanical limits and to perform according to specifications
- Design suitable mounts for optics and power supply systems
- Incorporates methods for maintenance and repair of components and designs, and develops test instrumentation and test procedures
- Confer with engineering and technical personnel regarding fabrication and testing of prototype systems, and modifies design as required
- May conduct application analysis to determine commercial, industrial, scientific, medical, military, or other use for electro-optical devices
- May assist with development of manufacturing, assembly, and fabrication processes
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent and 4 years experience in electromechanical assembly. Advanced academic and professional experience in optics, electrical engineering, software development, systems integration preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Lumencor believes in a healthy work environment for all employees, and fosters teamwork and respect for others while adhering to ethical work practices. We offer a full package of employees health, dental and vision insurance as well as many other perks.