Finance/Operations | Brooklyn, NY | Full Time
Brooklyn based startup building a new fair-trade marketplace for media projects seeks a Controller/Finance Lead to take a direct strategic role in developing our revenue model across divisions and helping to manage internal financial operations overall. We're looking for someone who likes to think top-down and isn't afraid of challenging the status quo of modern business models as we're striving to change the way people hear, understand, value, and experience music via an innovative technology platform. This person should also understand the startup and/or tech worlds, have dealt with businesses that have a range of operations, and have the ability to work collaboratively across all divisions.
This is a strategic role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. The position requires a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, integrity, absolute confidentiality where appropriate, and strong analytical skills.
If you are interested in this job please include your resume (required), a cover letter (required) including your desired income, and fill out our webform (required).
Responsibilities will include:
- Design and implement a budgeting process in alignment with our strategic goals
- Financial forecasting and cash flow for administration
- Establish best practices and efficient operation processes
- Coordinate all audit activities
- Manage vendor relationships
- Collaborate with managers across departments on strategic plans as well as day-to-day operations
- Participate in possible business development efforts, including giving presentations and leading initiatives
- 5+ years of experience in a senior financial management role (preferably in a startup environment) resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies; Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance
- Jedi-level project management and presentation skill; Demonstrated ability to translate strategic vision objectives into tangible project deliverables
- Ability to prioritize work and manage within limited resources
- Management experience: you have managed other people and processes before; experience building a team or department would be a plus
- Comfort and ability to thrive within an iterative design process, balancing expediency with quality of design
- Ability to multi-task and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic and challenging startup environment.
- Strong problem solving skills and concept development - ability to conceptualize issues, quickly develop solutions, and implement action plans
Our staff is diverse, multitalented & multicultural - we welcome applicants with a background in the arts, media and technology as well as corporate refugees. If you have any work samples we encourage you to include them in your application.
Compensation commensurate with experience to the extent possible, while also adhering to our scale as a self-funded, pre-revenue startup.
Please include your resume (required), a cover letter (required) including your desired income, and fill out our webform (required).
Please, no phone calls, emails or drop-ins.
Our business model is centered around fair-trade and we value commitment to transparency and equitable treatment for creative workers above all else. Consequently, we're building an online distribution platform geared towards supporting cultural institutions, providing them with tools to create more opportunities around creative, not-overtly-commercial (you know, good) music. Our app takes a holistic and honest approach to music creation, distribution and consumption to become a self-perpetuating engine, as it will present real value to all principals involved—artists, audiences, institutions.