Software Engineer - Product Development
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
At ListenFirst, we’re passionate about creating insights from social data that help our clients make smarter, faster and more informed decisions than ever before. We partner with the most successful consumer brands in the world to transform how they use social data to drive every kind of decision in their business. Clients use our insights to identify trends, acquire new customers, predict sales, optimize marketing campaigns, and drive revenue.
We are building our team and looking for smart, talented, ambitious, and creative people, interested in challenging problems at scale for the biggest brands in the world.
About the Opportunity
ListenFirst Media is looking for software engineers to work on client facing and internal web applications, as well as the infrastructure and platform architecture that connects LFM's end-user applications and backend data systems. The product development team focuses on the design and implementation of scalable solutions for the ongoing retrieval, storage and processing of data from disparate sources. The systems we build are responsible for processing efficiently and reliably the tens of millions of data points that pass through each day.
The ideal candidate not only demonstrates core computer science competencies, but also displays great curiosity and possesses an interest in gaining experience across multiple specializations, including but not limited to:
- performant API design
- building complex, highly interactive front end applications
- developing an eye for design
- database management and manipulation
- systems management across a distributed architecture
The breadth of knowledge is wide, but we have many skilled, well experienced individuals across many specialties who are more than happy to share their knowledge.
- Environments: Linux, AWS
- Databases: PostgreSQL, Redshift, DynamoDB
- strong computer science fundamentals
- provable programming prowess with both statically and dynamically typed languages
- passion for writing tight, non-complex code
- experience with Unix/Linux
- working knowledge of relational database management systems and experience authoring SQL
- ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and design experiments to quickly validate ideas
- experience with a sizable source code base and version control systems (git preferred)
- an eagerness to learn from, teach, and otherwise collaborate with colleagues
- experience working in large data sets
- experience or interest in working with Amazon Web Services
- experience or interest in building and integrating applications with 1st and 3rd party APIs
- experience or interest in developing and maintaining external and internal APIs that:
- receive simultaneous, bursty and occasional high-bandwidth connection requests
- fulfill data requests by accessing multiple backend systems: rdbms, data warehouse, various key-value stores
Bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science or another analytic subject area; masters or doctorate degree holders are also encouraged to apply.
Candidates will need to apply all manners of software engineering techniques to solve challenging human-data interface problems. They will be accessing large heterogeneous sets of data and presenting that data in an easy to understand and engaging experience for the user. As might be expected in a startup company, the range of problems will go far beyond this primary responsibility which is why the ideal candidate is dynamic, smart, and motivated. The sky is the limit.
This position is in the engineering team and will require working closely with the product and client services teams, thus candidates need to have exceptional communication skills and a team-first attitude. This is a great opportunity to work on challenging and incredibly market-relevant problems as the social media analytics industry is taking off! Candidates should be open minded and eager to learn.
This position is open in New York City, NY. Candidates must have authorization to work in the U.S.