Software Engineer - Full Stack
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Software Engineer – Full Stack
ListenFirst Media is looking for junior to mid-level software engineers to work on challenging big data problems in the social media space.
We are a late stage startup founded in 2012 specializing in social media analytics. Software engineers at ListenFirst have the satisfaction of knowing that their efforts play a critical role in the success of a small but growing company. Come join a team filled with incredibly talented individuals who are focused on a singular goal: building the stickiest analytics that marketing executives in Fortune 500 companies are dependent upon.
The ideal candidate is a well rounded computer scientist, capable of working on big-data problems and has a passion for building web applications, information retrieval, data visualization, or possibly even knowledge-related problems such as natural language processing, machine learning, information extraction, named entity recognition, taxonomies, etc.
- Environments: Linux, AWS
- Databases: PostgreSQL, Redshift
- STRONG COMPUTER SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALS
- provable programming prowess with statically and dynamically typed languages
- passion for writing tight, non-complex code
- experience with Unix/Linux
- understanding of RDBMS and SQL
- ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and design experiments to quickly validate ideas
- an eagerness to learn from, teach, and otherwise collaborate with colleagues
- an ability to see the ultimate simplicity in everything
- experience working on large data sets
- experience with a sizable source code base and version control systems (git preferred)
- creativity towards mashing up data from disparate sources to achieve a viable solution
- experience or interest in working with cloud computing technologies
- experience or interest in building and integrating external and internal APIs that:
- receive simultaneous, bursty and occasional high-bandwidth connection requests
- fulfill data requests by accessing multiple backend systems: rdbms, data warehouse, various key-value stores
Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree preferably in computer science.
Candidates will need to apply all manners of software engineering techniques to solve challenging human-data interface problems. They will be accessing large heterogeneous sets of data and presenting that data in an easy to understand and engaging experience for the user. As might be expected in a startup company, the range of problems will go far beyond this primary responsibility which is why the ideal candidate is dynamic, smart, and motivated.
This position is in the engineering team and will require working closely with the product and client services teams, thus candidates need to have exceptional communication skills and a team-first attitude. This is a great opportunity to work on challenging and incredibly market-relevant problems as the social media analytics industry is taking off! Candidates should be open minded and eager to learn.
This position is open in New York City, NY. Candidates must have authorization to work in the U.S.