Software Engineer - Data Visualization Engineer
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Software Engineer – Data Visualization Engineer
ListenFirst Media is looking for a software engineer with a passion for making data beautiful and intuitive. Our platform offers a vast amount of interesting data sets ready to explore. We are looking for visually minded, detail oriented engineers, whom by nature place a premium on usability and intuitive design.
While the primary focus of this role is to help create easy to use, beautiful, and compelling interfaces and dashboards, we are seeking well rounded, open minded software engineers with strong grasp of computer science fundamentals. The position has exposure to the full stack and all aspects of product development. We are offering the opportunity to stretch both the creative and analytical sides of the brain.
ListenFirst is a social media analytics business founded in 2012. Software engineers at ListenFirst have the satisfaction of knowing that their efforts play a critical role in the success of a rapidly growing company (still in the early innings). Come join a team filled with incredibly talented individuals who are focused on a singular goal: building the stickiest analytics that marketing executives in Fortune 500 companies are dependent upon.
The ideal candidate demonstrates core computer science fundamentals, great intellectual curiosity, a passion for creating, a propensity for collaborative work, and an interest in gaining or sharing experience across the stack.
- Environments: Linux, AWS
- Databases: PostgreSQL, Redshift
- strong computer science fundamentals
- provable programming prowess with both statically and dynamically typed languages
- passion for writing tight, non-complex code
- experience with Unix/Linux
- understanding of RDBMS and SQL
- ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and design experiments to quickly validate ideas
- experience with a sizable source code base and version control systems (git preferred)
- an eagerness to learn from, teach, and otherwise collaborate with colleagues
- strong visual design sensibilities
- knowledge of inferential statistics and multi-dimensional statistical analysis
- experience visualizing both qualitative and quantitative analysis
- basic understanding of data visualization best practices (such as data-ink ratios, color perceptions, etc.)
- basic understanding of usability design principles
- experience working in large data sets
- familiarity with SVG, graphing libraries, and data visualization toolkits (like D3)
- interest in working with Amazon Web Services
- interest in building and integrating applications with 1st and 3rd party APIs
Bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science or another analytic subject area; masters or doctorate degree holders are also encouraged to apply.
Candidates will need to apply all manners of software engineering techniques to solve challenging human-data interface problems. They will be accessing large heterogeneous sets of data and presenting that data in an easy to understand and engaging experience for the user. As might be expected in a startup company, the range of problems will go far beyond this primary responsibility which is why the ideal candidate is dynamic, smart, and motivated. The sky is the limit.
This position is in the engineering team and will require working closely with the product and client services teams, thus candidates need to have exceptional communication skills and a team-first attitude. This is a great opportunity to work on challenging and incredibly market-relevant problems as the social media analytics industry is taking off! Candidates should be open minded and eager to learn.
This position is open in New York City, NY. Candidates must have authorization to work in the U.S.