Software Engineer - Back Office
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Software Engineer – Back Office
ListenFirst Media is a social analytics startup delivering industry leading software to help make sense of the vastly growing amount of digital data. We work together to build efficient systems and intuitive products that empower our users to better understand their marketing efforts and make more informed business decisions. Our engineering team prides itself on being builders and problem solvers in a continuously evolving industry.
The Data Engineering team focuses on the design and implementation of scalable solutions for the ongoing retrieval, storage and processing of data from disparate sources. The systems we build are responsible for processing both efficiently and reliably the tens of millions of data points that pass through each day. From ingestion through egestion, data engineers work collaboratively to build, support and operate the systems needed to enable the technological scale required to support a fast growing business.
The ideal candidate demonstrates core computer science fundamentals, great intellectual curiosity, a passion for creating, a propensity for collaborative work, and an interest in gaining or sharing experience across the stack.
- Integrate with a variety of transport mechanisms
- Including but not limited to: HTTP API (varying authentication protocols), HTTP streaming / firehose, email, ftp, web crawling
- Efficient storage with respect to data size, growth rate, and processing capabilities
- ER modeling for database persistence, custom indexing using RAM / file system
- Data processing and transformation
- Streaming and batch processing
- Proper data modeling to support analytics
- Data warehousing, SQL
- Identifying and extracting entities, concepts, and topics in the data and the relationships between them
- Work with product and client services teams in gathering and understanding requirements
Some Examples of Challenges You Would Face
- How can we increase ingest capacity by ten fold while halving the average response time from a particular data store and/or ad-hoc reporting system?
- How can we accelerate the amount and depth of data we are collecting for a broader set of brands and data sources? How do we continue to achieve web scale while maintaining data integrity and reliability?
- What brand generated content, spanning all major social networks, had the most interactions in the last month for a particular industry (e.g. Film, Television, Auto, CPG, etc.), and what caused it?
- Why does a particular query or operation take a minute to execute? Can it be done in sub-second time?
- How can we increase fault tolerance and redundancy with limited additional complexity and improved economies of scale?
- strong computer science fundamentals
- baccalaureate degree in computer science or other analytic subject area preferred.
- dynamic, motivated and eager to learn
- exceptional communication skills
- provable programming prowess. Experience in Ruby, C++ or Go a plus
- strong Linux experience
- understanding of SQL, relational database systems and NoSQL databases
- experience working on large data sets
- experience with a sizable source code base and version control systems, preferably git
- cloud services experience a plus, preferably AWS
Candidates will need to apply all manners of software engineering techniques to solve challenging problems across the platform. As might be expected in a startup company, the range of problems will go far beyond the primary responsibility which is why the ideal candidate is dynamic, smart, and motivated.
This position is in the engineering team and will require working closely with the product and client services teams, thus candidates need to have exceptional communication skills and a team-first attitude. This is a great opportunity to work on challenging and incredibly market-relevant problems as the social media analytics industry is taking off! Candidates should be open minded and eager to learn.
This position is open in New York City, NY. Candidates must have authorization to work in the U.S.