Software Engineer - Back Office
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Recognized as one of America’s fastest growing private companies in the 2016 Inc. 500 list, ListenFirst Media is a social analytics startup delivering industry leading software to help analyze the vastly growing amount of digital data. We focus on building empowering products for our users to better understand their marketing efforts and make more informed business decisions. Our engineering team prides itself on being builders and problem solvers in a continuously evolving industry.
The Data Engineering team focuses on the design and implementation of scalable solutions for the ongoing retrieval, storage and processing of data from disparate sources. The systems we build are responsible for processing efficiently and reliably the tens of millions of data points that pass through each day. From ingestion through egestion, data engineers work collaboratively to build, support and operate the systems needed to enable the technological scale required of a fast growing business.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, smart and motivated individual who demonstrates intellectual curiosity, a passion for creating, a propensity for collaboration, and an interest in gaining experience across the stack. The candidate has a strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals and is able to apply all manners of software engineering to solve challenging problems.
- Integrate with a variety of transport mechanisms
- Including but not limited to: HTTP API (varying authentication protocols), HTTP streaming / firehose, email, ftp, web crawling
- Efficient storage with respect to data size, growth rate, and processing needs
- ER modeling for database persistence, custom indexing using RAM / file system
- Data processing and transformation
- Streaming and batch processing
- Proper data modeling to support analytics
- Data warehousing, SQL
- Identifying and extracting entities in the data and the relationships between them
- Work with product and client services teams in gathering and understanding requirements
Some Examples of Challenges You Would Face
- How can we accelerate the volume and scope of data we are collecting for a broader set of data providers? How do we continue to achieve web scale while maintaining data integrity and reliability?
- What content, spanning all major social networks, had the most interactions in the last month for a particular industry (e.g. Film, Television, Auto, CPG, etc.), and what caused it?
- Why does an operation take a minutes to execute? Can it be done in seconds?
- How can we increase fault tolerance and redundancy with limited additional complexity and improved economies of scale?
- baccalaureate degree in computer science or other analytic subject area
- exceptional communication skills
- provable programming prowess. Experience in Ruby, C++ or Go a plus
- strong Linux experience
- understanding of SQL, relational and NoSQL databases
- experience working on large data sets
- experience with a sizable source code base and version control systems (git preferred)
- cloud services experience a plus, preferably AWS
This position is open in New York City, NY. Candidates must have authorization to work in the U.S.