Emergency Shelter Service Coordinator
Direct Services | Pontiac, MI | Full Time and Temporary
Job Description: Emergency Shelter Service Coordinators will help coordinate onsite shelter operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sheltering individuals and families through the use of hotels, Emergency Shelter Service Coordinators will provide onsite assistance to enforce the “stay in place” order including monitoring social distancing and general guest supervision. Shelter guests will include people with a positive COVID-19 diagnosis or presumed exposed and quarantining onsite.
- Build rapport with guests sheltering in motels.
- Ensure the general safety of shelter guests by monitoring the hotel grounds throughout the shift and re-directing guests who are not social distancing or engaging in unsafe behavior. Unsafe behaviors include entering guests entering each other’s hotel rooms, bringing friends/family into the hotel, socializing in close quarters, etc.
- Review the communication log at the beginning of every shift and enter relevant guest and shelter information throughout shift.
- Serve as the onsite point of contact for shelter guests and hotel staff for emergency issues or general needs.
- Liaison between shelter guests and the rest if the shelter team to ensure every guest is connected to appropriate services in a timely manner.
- Work with identified shelter staff to ensure each shelter guest has their basic needs met.
- Assist with delivering meals and other essential items to shelter guests.
- Track and report delivery of all services provided, via case notes and incident reports.
- Carry out any additional tasks assigned by their supervisor.
- Consistently report for scheduled shifts in a timely manner, and remain alert and attentive to their assigned responsibilities throughout the duration of their shift.
- Abide by the organization's operational policies and activity schedules, and will enforce shelter rules in an equitable manner.
- Consistently treat shelter guests, volunteers, and other staff members respectfully, and maintain a professional attitude and appearance at all times.
- During each shift, orient all actions and decisions using trauma informed principles while maintaining the safety and well-being of shelter guests, fellow staff and volunteers.
- Staff will not engage in personal/intimate relationships with guests, sell or purchase contraband items for guests, or otherwise engage in behavior that is contrary to the social work code of ethics.
Education: High school diploma required; bachelor's degree in social work, human services or some undergraduate-level coursework related to human services preferred.
Experience: Professional or lived experience with homelessness; some previous experience working or volunteering with human service programs serving individuals struggling with substance abuse, mental illness, or other issues that might contribute to complex behavioral problems. One or more years of work or volunteer experience in challenging interpersonal contexts is helpful.
Skills: Ability to handle multiple co-occurring tasks and situations; ability to firmly and politely re-direct guest actions, especially during tense situations; ability to make quick, but effective, decisions; ability to remain calm in stressful situations; non-judgmental and client-centered principles, basic computer skills and ability to quickly learn common web-based software.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. Lighthouse is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, creed, religion, national origin, color, status as a veteran, gender or gender identity, sex, age, sexual preference or orientation, marital status, disability, income, weight, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume online via JobScore.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.