Director of Individual & Planned Giving
Development | Hybrid in Pontiac, MI | Full Time | From $60,000.00 to $115,500.00 per year
Lighthouse MI is a growing non-profit, established in 2019 when Lighthouse of Oakland County and South Oakland Shelter joined forces to offer a stronger collective response to poverty in our Metro Detroit community. With over 80 years of combined experience, the organization's scope of services has grown to encompass emergency shelter and food distribution; financial assistance; affordable housing and community development; supportive service solutions; and crowdfunding technologies that have contributed to thousands of displaced people getting back on their feet and finding a renewed sense of purpose. Lighthouse is working to meet the critical and escalating emergency and longer-term needs of the working poor, homeless, and otherwise impoverished members of our community who face immense systemic challenges against the backdrop of a pandemic and hyperinflation.
Lighthouse owns and operates Spero Housing Group, a subsidiary non-profit dedicated specifically to developing and operating high quality affordable and supportive housing for persons of low and moderate income, as well as HandUp, a community and crowdfunding platform serving 100+ homeless service agencies and their clients across the United States. The organization is one of seven community development organizations throughout the State of Michigan that serve as chartered members of the NeighborWorks America community development network.
Lighthouse is seeking a results-driven Director of Individual & Planned Giving to join its growing development department. This experienced and dedicated individual will step into a newly created position and be responsible for driving revenue growth through individual and planned giving strategies.
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer, the ideal candidate is experienced at cultivating major and planned gifts, prospecting for new donors, and securing gifts ranging from $1,000 - $10,000. They should also have experience with planned giving vehicles, possess an entrepreneurial spirit, and have superior interpersonal skills. Candidates must also be detail-oriented, highly organized, able to work collaboratively in a team environment, and be self-motivated.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Cultivate, build, and solidify relationships with existing donors and new prospects
- Develop and manage portfolio of 100-150 donors and engage them through regular cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts.
- Create personalized solicitation plans for each donor that takes into account the donor’s passions/interests and execute those plans.
- Directly solicit contributions of $1,000 - $10,000+
- Achieve agreed upon annual fundraising goals including dollars raised, donors secured and/or upgraded, and the development of new donors.
- Collaborate with the Chief Philanthropy Officer and CEO on solicitations in excess of $10k.
- Develop, launch, and manage a planned giving program.
- Identify potential planned giving prospects and advise them on how to include Lighthouse in their estate plans.
- Coordinate with the Chief Philanthropy Officer to identify potential capital campaign donors.
- Enter all donor information, actions, and notes into Raisers Edge in a timely manner.
- Conduct organizational tours for donors and prospects.
- Develop written proposals and other materials necessary for major and planned gift solicitation.
- Conduct regular donor research to identify prospects and support cultivation efforts.
- Coordinate with Director of Development on donor stewardship efforts.
- Coordinate with the Director of Development on establishing a monthly giving program and help to identify individual donors.
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator on initiatives to transition volunteers to donors.
- Coordinate with program team to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, impact, and goals.
- Represent the organization at networking and community events.
- Give presentations and conduct public speaking engagements.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of success working in the donor development lifecycle securing financial gifts of $1,000 to $10,000+ from individuals.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience with planned giving programs and strategies.
- Excellent storytelling-style presentation and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort in interacting with donors/prospects in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated dependability, time management, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Experienced in high-performing donor engagement and retention strategies.
- Engaging and professional phone skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Google Workspace) and comfort working with donor database programs, Raisers Edge preferred.
- Ability to work strategically within a team structure as well as independently.
- Ability to work nights and weekends and to travel throughout the metro-Detroit area.
- Commitment to the Lighthouse mission.
- Demonstrated success in closing five-figure gifts.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge.
- Experience with capital campaigns.
- Experience developing programs from inception and seeing them through to completion.
- Experience securing planned gifts – DAFs, CRTs, annuities, gifts of insurance, etc.
- Experience conducting public speaking in front of large and small groups.
- Experience working with human service organizations focused on poverty alleviation.
Excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life, matching 401(k), and more.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. Lighthouse is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, creed, religion, national origin, color, status as a veteran, gender or gender identity, sex, age, sexual preference or orientation, marital status, disability, income, weight, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume online via JobScore.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
No phone or e-mail inquiries, please.