Campaign and Major Gift Director
Development | Pontiac, MI | Full Time
Campaign and Major Gifts Director
About Lighthouse MI
Lighthouse MI was established in 2019 when Lighthouse of Oakland County and South Oakland Shelter joined forces to offer a stronger collective response to poverty in our Metro Detroit community. With over 80 years of combined experience, Lighthouse serves as a beacon of hope to our neighbors who need it most by offering assistance with emergency basic needs alongside housing programs and supportive services designed to support long-term economic stability.
Education: Master Degree Preferred with Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) accepted with three years of experience from an accredited college or university in not-for-profit management or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to prioritize, track and implement multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, fundraising/marketing environment.
- Ability to manage a high-volume workload while achieving quality standards for both major and campaign giving.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills required. Attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy. Uses strong analytical skills and problem solving to perform job functions and improve processes.
- Knowledge of donor database applications
- (CRM) experience is desirable. High level computer skills with thorough knowledge of Microsoft office, Google Suite, and Raiser’s Edge NXT.
The Campaign and Major Gifts Director works directly with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) as their supervisor and closely with the CEO, CFO, COO, Development Staff, Capacity Campaign chairs, Board of Directors Chairperson, Development Committee Chairperson, individual committee members, and organizational leadership team. This position will work with these groups to develop a strong prospect and acquisition pool of donors, manage the current major donors for potential greater giving, and participate with the capacity campaign to assist the CDO in keeping the campaign on schedule and progressing with a high level of visibility and momentum that engenders a sense of excitement, optimism, and confidence in achieving the campaign goal.
- Secure corporate support letters from Chamber of Commerce’s in municipalities that have them, key employers, and other businesses who hire individuals at lower wages.
- Secure letters of endorsement from key leaders throughout the state, including representatives, county and city government, religious figures, and more.
- Coordinate with Executive Leadership on a feasibility study of key supporters, philanthropists, and influencers on our ability to achieve the campaign goal.
- Assist Executive Leadership and Board of Directors Chair to secure 100 percent board support.
- Build a Campaign Portfolio including case, budget, strategic plan, audited financials, naming opportunities, video, and donor pledge intent form, 19 ways to give, and FAQ’s.
- Coordinate with Executive Team on the recruitment of 10-15 Campaign Champions, honorary chairs for the campaign, and key prospects to cultivate.
Major Donor Work
- Make arrangements for meetings with major donors, including scheduling with all parties involved and keeping the momentum for arranging meetings with donors
- Handle meeting responsibilities; include making needed reservations, coordinating schedules, sending meeting confirmations, and sending necessary information prior to the meeting.
- Prepare materials needed for major donor meetings, including a package of materials for donor meetings as directed by the Executive Team and solicitors.
- Follow up after major donor meetings, make sure donors are thanked appropriately and receive all promised materials, update records, and create action items.
- Coordinate with the Fund Development Data Administrator on prospect identification and research for both prospects and current donors.
- Work with the campaign committee, CDO, and Director of Development Operations to execute a communication plan for donors.
- Assist the DDO in executing campaign and major donor related events.
Campaign Committee Work and Reporting
- Work with the executive team and campaign leaders to schedule committee meetings, prepare needed materials, keep accurate notes, follow up with members on action items, and provide assistance as needed.
- Update campaign reports and keep an accurate report of campaign progress to date.
- Coordinate with development staff to ensure all campaign outreach is coordinated with other fundraising efforts.
- Ensure that every campaign gift and pledge is properly managed with quick acknowledgement.
- Make sure that each gift is credited appropriately in the accounting system, noting any on-going pledge payments and reminders.
- Maintain an updated list of naming opportunities.
Communications and Public Relations Planning
- Coordinate with the CDO, DDO, and PR Consultant in planning announcements to assure that all appropriate and designated major gifts and campaign items are promoted.
- Assist in developing and executing, with the Campaign leadership and staff, a public relations/communications plan to keep major and campaign in the public’s eye and to maintain its momentum with personal outreach outside the gift ‘season’ of each donor.
- Support the executive team, campaign leadership, and other potential outside consultants in planning and implementing a funding strategy through public funding.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. Lighthouse is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, age, creed, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume online via JobScore.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
No phone or e-mail inquiries, please.