K-2 Student Support Aide (Para Professional) | Lodestar
Lodestar | Oakland, CA | Full Time
About Lodestar—A New Way of Doing School
Lodestar: A Lighthouse Community Public School
THE ORGANIZATIONSocial justice movements come in all shapes and sizes. Here at Lighthouse Community Public Schools, we are engaged in an educational movement that goes beyond our classrooms working to disrupt educational inequities by providing our students and families exceptional educational opportunities every day. Grounded in our core values of community, integrity, agency, love, and social justice rooted in EL Education Model, LCPS is a leader in fostering innovative schools achieving exceptional student outcomes where each child is at the center of their own learning. Our mission is to prepare diverse students for college, a career of their choice, and to be lifelong changemakers.
Founded in 2002, LCPS operates a high-achieving K-12 public charter school, and our K-8 sister site, Lodestar, that opened in Fall 2016; serving nearly 1,300 students in East Oakland. Lighthouse is a beacon for public education and our graduates fulfill the promise of a better, brighter Oakland. 95% of our graduates, almost all of whom are first-generation college students, are accepted into four-year colleges. We were named the Hart Vision Charter School of the Year in 2013, and the #1 high school for closing achievement for low-income Latino students in 2016. If the work we do here at LCPS appeals to your values regarding quality education for all then please join our movement! Learn more at www.lighthousecharter.org
About Lodestar—A New Way of Doing SchoolLodestar is an innovative, new school that opened in East Oakland in Fall 2016. Lodestar teachers are excited by the possibility of transforming the traditional model of education to be student-centered and experiential. Our teaching pedagogy is built around:
- Design principles of agency
- Students belonging to an educational community that provides personalized learning
- Project-based learning expeditions using Making/Arts/Design
- “Just right” instruction in math and literacy.
This model allows our teachers to specialize in delivering either project-based interdisciplinary learning or small-group, multi-age math or literacy instruction. This year, we are adding 3rd and 7th grades to our existing grade levels of K, 1, 2, and 6. We will continue to add grades until we are K-12. Take a look at our work and watch our lab in action here!
THE OPPORTUNITYAbout the K-2 Student Support Aide (Para Professional)
We are looking for innovative and experienced educators to become members of our team, relentlessly committed to ensuring that traditionally underserved students achieve our mission of completing college, securing a career of choice, and becoming lifelong learners able to create change in their own lives and in our community. Lodestar teachers are excited by the possibility of transforming the traditional model of education to be student-centered.
We are looking for a K-2 Student Support Assistant excited by the possibility of preventively closing gaps for our youngest students through early intervention, instruction, therapeutic, and behavior support. You will work with strategically selected groups of students or individual students to provide a positive learning environment for students through behavior management, behavior modification, coaching, training and skill building of students and school staff. You will collaborate closely with our Resource Specialist to support students with individualized education plans.
Responsibilities of the K-2 Student Support Aide
- Assist Academic Intervention Specialists/Teachers in providing individual and group instruction as appropriate
- Provide direct behavioral intervention/modification for students that decreases engagement in disruptive, harmful or negative behaviors and increases engagement in positive replacement behaviors.
- Provide crisis management and intervention for students, including but not limited to: risk assessment, crisis counseling, creation of behavioral plans and/or physical management using Seneca’s certified AHIMSA Model
- Lead small groups of students in activities to enhance their academic, behavioral, and interpersonal and social skills as appropriate
- Assist in monitoring students’ progress toward their goals through formal documentation methods (i.e., data tracking, mental health notes, carrying out assessments, etc.)
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team to ensure all students get the support they need to achieve academic and personal success at school
- Coordinate and collaborate with parents, classroom teachers and other providers in order to transfer skills and build capacity
- Implement broader classroom or school-wide interventions, including trauma-informed practices and aspects of the PBIS framework
- Participate in individual supervision to expand skills and receive ongoing coaching and support
We are looking for staff members who will exhibit competencies in our 5 tenets and the Lodestar agency mindset:
HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL
- VISIONARY, INNOVATIVE, & EQUITY-FOCUSED URBAN EDUCATOR: Believes and demonstrates that every student can learn and commits to holding high expectations and providing opportunities for all students.
- MODELS GROWTH MINDSET: Holds a growth-mindset for self, colleagues, and students demonstrated by self-reflection and the belief that everyone is a lifelong learner.
- FACILITATOR OF DEEP LEARNING: Designs and facilitates personalized and rigorous learning experiences that support all students to achieve meaningful and ambitious deep learning goals and milestones.
- AUTHENTIC DATA ANALYST: Transparently uses and analyzes authentic data to advance practice and student goals.
- COMMUNITY BUILDER: Builds deep and caring relationships, uses restorative and responsive practices, and communicates effectively with students, families, colleagues, and community.
- COMMUNITY MEMBER: Takes a humble and assets-based approach to working with and becoming a part of our community.
- SKILLED COLLABORATOR: Collaborates with empathy by listening to divergent perspectives and demonstrating pedagogical expertise, mission-alignment, and high levels of professionalism at all times.
- STRATEGIC TEAMMATE: Works in a strategic manner autonomously and collaboratively despite complexity.
- MODELS AGENCY: Exhibits persistence, creativity, flexibility, motivation to make change, and the ability to imagine new approaches and opportunities for impact.
- COMMITTED FOUNDER: Brings passion to the founding of a new school as a dependable, organized, solutions-oriented, and optimistic founding team member committed to both starting up and staying to teach our kids.
- B.A. or B.S. required
- Experience serving urban youth in school or instructional/intervention program setting preferred
- Experience working on multi-disciplinary teams preferred
- TB Clearance and first aid/CPR certified
- Requires background clearance via DOJ LiveScan to work in schools
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
200-day regular work schedule as well as 1 stipended week during the summer prior to school opening.Common Building Hours: All Aides are expected to maintain hours of 8:00 - 4:00 pm and 8:00-5:00 one day a week for Professional Development.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover letter describing your interest in this exciting position and why you are an optimal fit, including how your teaching philosophy, approach to student learning, and educational expertise would contribute to the Lodestar founding team
- 3 references with Name, Email, Phone Number and Title/nature of working relationship
Application submission, screening and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis until filled. In-person interviews and performance tasks will take place on-site.
Lighthouse Community Charter School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.