6th Grade Math & Science Teacher-IMMEDIATE OPENING
Lighthouse 5-8 Band (Middle School) | Oakland, CA | Full Time
6th Math & Science Teacher (19-20)
Competitive and Commensurate with Experience. Generous Hard to Staff and Signing Bonuses Apply to ALL Math roles.
Social justice movements come in all shapes and sizes. Here at Lighthouse Community Public Schools, we are engaged in an educational movement that goes beyond our classrooms working to disrupt educational inequities by providing our students and families exceptional educational opportunities every day. Grounded in our core values of community, integrity, agency, love, and social justice rooted in EL Education Model, LCPS is a leader in fostering innovative schools achieving exceptional student outcomes where each child is at the center of their own learning. Our mission is to prepare diverse students for college, a career of their choice, and to be lifelong changemakers.
Founded in 2002, LCPS operates a high-achieving K-12 public charter school, and our K-8 sister site, Lodestar, that opened in Fall 2016; serving nearly 1,300 students in East Oakland. Lighthouse is a beacon for public education and our graduates fulfill the promise of a better, brighter Oakland. 95% of our graduates, almost all of whom are first-generation college students, are accepted into four-year colleges. We were named the Hart Vision Charter School of the Year in 2013, and the #1 high school for closing achievement gaps for low-income Latino students in 2016. If the work we do here at LCPS appeals to your values regarding quality education for all then please join our movement! Learn more at www.lighthousecharter.org
6th Grade Math & Science Teacher (19-20)
Lighthouse Community Public School is looking for an excellent and engaging 5th/6th Math/Science teacher, who will be relentlessly committed to ensuring that traditionally underserved students of color achieve our mission of completing college and securing the career of choice. Lighthouse teachers believe that this important mission is not only attainable; it is essential to transforming our Oakland community. As the Math/Science Teacher, you will instruct 5th or 6th Grade students in core math/science classes and lead a daily grade level advisory (Crew).
Are you ready to join an educational movement that is bigger than one classroom?
If you are excited about the opportunity to foster and facilitate a progressive growth mindset in students and engage in transformational teaching, we are actively looking for student-centered, dedicated and dynamic teachers.
You will embody the following Core Competencies to be an effective change-agent:
- Be a visionary, innovative and equity-focused urban educator
- Facilitate deeply engaging student-centered learning
- Demonstrate a keen ability to create, collect and analyze authentic data
- Be a strong community builder and team collaborator
- Model and foster a growth mindset with agency, persistence and flexibility
- Be a collaborative and responsible professional leader
You will offer our students:
Purposeful Instruction and Assessment
- Learning is deep rather than broad.
- Learning is standard-based and develops life-worthy understandings.
- Purposeful Instruction is differentiated and experiential and provides student-centered learning opportunities.
- Authentic student-engaged assessment is collected and analyzed to target student’s areas of growth and mastery of learning objectives.
- Learning is rooted in our community and our student’s identities.
- Learning supports students to create healthy relationships and develop collaborative skills.
- Create positive relationships by building nurturing and affirming teacher-student and student-student partnerships with a focus on building a community of risk-taking learners.
- Learning is personalized (which for us does not mean computerized). We use data to design and dynamically adjust learning experiences.
- Learning is inquiry-based and driven by complex problems.
- Students are at the center of their own learning and deeply engaged in ways that foster agency and self-direction.
- Grow and contribute as an educator, colleague, learner, and community member.
- Demonstrate advocacy, flexibility, autonomy, and collegiality.
- Administer all policies and procedures in a professional and timely manner as mandated by Lighthouse, the State and Federal agencies (i.e., attendance records, dress code, reporting of sexual/physical abuse).
We would love to hear from you if your educational toolbox includes the following:
- 3+ years teaching in an Urban school environment and middle school setting, highly preferred
- B.A. or B.S. required; Master’s Degree in Education preferred
- California teaching credential required (or out of state teacher licensure being transferred to CA)
- Experience with curriculum planning and data-analysis
- Experience with Google apps preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
This position will report to: K-8 Principal
This is a full-time exempt 11-month (200-day) work year with 23 student-free days for professional learning and collaboration with colleagues and families. All instructional staff will report in early August, 2019 (exact calendar TBD).
Common Building Hours: All teachers are expected to maintain hours of 8:00 - 4:00 pm and 8:00-5:00 one day a week for Professional Development.
OUR COMPENSATION PACKAGE:
*** Competitive and Commensurate with Experience. Generous Hard to Staff and Signing Bonuses Apply to ALL Math roles.
At Lighthouse Community Public Schools we take good care of our employees. We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a competitive salary and generous health and retirement benefits (100% employee health coverage/50% for dependents; 8% employer-matching for retirement program; medical and dependent FSA).
People of color and/or bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover Letter describing your interest in this exciting position and why you are an optimal fit, including how you're teaching philosophy, approach to student learning, and educational expertise would contribute to Lighthouse Community Public Schools.
- 3 references with Name, Email, Phone Number and Title/nature of working-relationship
Application submission screening and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis. In-person interviews and performance tasks will take place on-site.
Lighthouse Community Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.