Engineering | New York, NY | Part Time
About the company
We have a goal to change the world and so should you. Our vision is to help create an economically empowered and thriving middle class in developing countries around the world. To accomplish this, we are building the world’s first online platform that empowers the emerging middle class to use their online social connections to build their creditworthiness and access local financial services.
This is a fast-paced, startup work environment. You'll have a lot of latitude with how you complete your projects but also high expectations of the output - we have a culture focused on results.
The role: Systems Administrator
The ideal candidate for this position is someone that is currently in a systems administration or related position where they have extensive experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS), including EC2, S3, and other related services, and would also be familiar with deploying and managing databases, including MySQL or other NoSQL databases like MongoDB. They will have a background in technology, heavy Linux or unix scripting experience, and will have peripheral knowledge of a programming language.
We are a worldwide company, with users in many countries around the world. You have the opportunity to coordinate the deployment of code across multiple data centers across the world, and make sure that everything is always up and running smoothly and efficiently. You will work during the day shift in New York, but need to be reachable with a remote Internet connection in case of an urgent need in off-hours.
- Ensuring that the AWS infrastructure is up and running.
- Deploying infrastructure in multiple data centers and set up coordination between them.
- Setting up load balancers for redundancy and efficiency.
- Need to be available for remote work 24x7 in case of emergencies or other urgent needs.
- Analyzing system logs and identifying potential issues with computer systems.
- Set up proper alerts for system diagnostics and checks for failure
- Introducing and integrating new technologies into existing data center environments.
- Performing routine audits of systems and software.
- Performing backups.
- Applying operating system updates, patches, and configuration changes.
- Responsibility for security.
- Responsibility for documenting the configuration of the system.
- Troubleshooting any reported problems.
- System performance tuning.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and/or commensurate experience
- 3-5 years of IT systems administration
- 1-2 years of experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure
Key Skills, Qualifications and Traits (E=Essential, P=Preferred):
- E- Shell scripting, and deploying in Linux environments.
- E- Managing AWS infrastructures, including alerts and backups
- E- Detail oriented, solid technical orientation
- E- Strong oral and written communication skills
- P- Database management experience, including MongoDB or MySQL
- P- Team lead or Management experience