Product (FDA/FTC Regulatory) Counsel
Legal | Portland, OR | Full Time
LegitScript is seeking an outstanding Product Counsel to lead our Research Team.
As Product Counsel, you will be responsible for being an in-house legal and regulatory expert in a variety of highly regulated areas across multiple jurisdictions including, but not limited to, food and drug law, tobacco, and gambling. You will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy of information we share internally, with our partners, or publish publicly, You will lead a team of attorneys and compliance experts and mentor them toward professional growth. You may also be responsible for representing the company’s expertise externally through client presentations, trade shows, etc. You will not be responsible for general legal work such as drafting contracts or assessing risk for the company as a whole. This position offers plenty of opportunity for growth for industrious and creative problem-solvers.
Product Counsel reports to General Counsel.
If you have a passion for legal research and leading others, and want to help make the internet a safer, more transparent place, this job could be a great fit.
- JD (Current, active Oregon bar membership is preferred and may be required within 1 year of start date)
- Five (5) years experience or equivalent experience, mostly in FDA, DEA, FTC and/or similar sectors
- Experience in regulatory matters and administrative law matters
- Knowledge of FDA and FTC regulations (EU food and drug regulations a bonus)
- Demonstrated experience leading a team (performing year-end reviews, holding one-on-ones, coaching/mentoring for professional development)
- High degree of comfort presenting internally and externally
- Insatiable curiosity
- Ability to perform quality assurance on deliverables
- Proven track record for performing strong legal research
- Ability to develop expertise in a variety of highly regulated areas across multiple jurisdictions (e.g., food and drug law)
- Impeccable writing skills
- High level of comfort being a final decision maker
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
- Excellent communication skills across all media
- Positive, collaborative personality
- Working knowledge of the FDCA (including DSHEA) or related areas of law
- Knowledge of internet investigative techniques
- Familiarity with internet infrastructure (registrars, ISPs, ICANN)
- Fluency in additional languages
LegitScript is a fast-growing, bootstrapped, Portland-based company that performs cyber investigations and internet monitoring in the healthcare sector and other high-risk areas. We are proud to be one of Oregon’s Top Workplaces, as voted by our employees.
We are cybercrime superheroes doing everything we can to make the internet a safer and more transparent place. Our historic focus, which is expanding, has been on the online healthcare product sector, where we analyze and report on rogue online pharmacies and other websites selling dangerous healthcare products. Our mission includes protecting consumers from dangers like deadly psychoactive highs, cosmetics that contain mercury, "all natural" supplements that contain dangerous pharmaceuticals, and illegal online pharmacies that fake their certifications and sell prescription medications to anyone who asks. We are rapidly expanding into monitoring other high-risk areas.
Our Pearl District office is open plan with plenty of natural light. We have sit-to-stand convertible desks. Many of us bike to work and we have indoor bike parking. There's a (really awesome) ofﬁce dog. Our friendly in-house barista serves complimentary beverages every morning, and we have lots of catered lunches and social events. It's a rapidly growing, culturally diverse company (about 65 people at present, from over 15 different countries) where people work hard and love what they do.
In addition to competitive salaries, full-time employees enjoy a great benefits package:
- Health plan with United Healthcare
- Flexible spending account - We contribute funds on your behalf and allow you to contribute pre-tax
- 401k with company contribution
- Life insurance policy that is fully paid by the company
- Transportation package to help alleviate commuting costs
- Generous Paid Time Off policy
Bonus: We offer full-time employees extra perks like massages, gift cards to local businesses, paid time off to volunteer, company sponsorship of your hobby, and group social events!
If you think you’d be a great fit and would like to be considered for the position, please submit your resume and cover letter. For more information on our company, please check out our website legitscript.com.