Staff Attorney - Public Benefits
Public Benefits | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Public Benefits Program
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc., a non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal assistance to people living with low income/low opportunity, seeks a Staff Attorney to work in its Public Benefits Program, part of Legal Services' Health & Welfare Program. The Public Benefits Program assists individuals who are having difficulty accessing or maintaining health and income maintenance benefits such as Medicaid, Food Stamps, Temporary Assistance, Child Care Assistance and other benefits. The Program also addresses issues related to Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income and Medicare as resources permit.
The Staff Attorney will be responsible for representing clients in matters before the Missouri Family Support Division and other state and federal agencies.
- case management,
- legal research and writing,
- drafting of administrative and court documents,
- participating in multi-sector advocacy teams to improve public benefits policies and practices;
- representation in administrative hearings, and
- litigation in state and federal courts.
The position also will also be responsible for community outreach activities and participating in collaborative efforts with agency partners on public benefits matters.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Experience with public benefits or administrative law preferred
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office and case management software
How to Apply:
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to Legal Services's office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.