Staff Attorney - Housing
Housing Law Program | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Staff Attorney - Housing Program
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc., a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low income/low opportunity, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work in its Housing Law Program. This program assists families and individuals facing eviction, loss of housing assistance, poor living conditions, discrimination and other housing issues.
The Staff Attorney will work with low-income families and individuals providing legal representation in state court and administrative proceedings. Additionally, this position may involve systemic advocacy through impact litigation in state and federal court, community lawyering and outreach, and other forms of broad-based advocacy as appropriate.
- Conducting client interviews, investigation, and fact gathering;
- Drafting pleadings, written discovery, correspondence, and memoranda;
- Conducting legal research and analysis;
- Conducting discovery, document review, and taking depositions;
- Engaging in trial work and making other court appearances;
- Filing affirmative litigation as needed;
- Participating in community outreach and presentations;
- Working collaboratively with our other programs and community partners;
- Supervising law student interns.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- At least 2 years of experience as a practicing attorney and/or experience with housing law preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law work or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with case management software preferred
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
How to Apply:
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.