Staff Attorney - Education Justice Program
Education Justice Program | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Education Justice Program Staff Attorney
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc., a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low-income/low opportunity is seeking a Staff Attorney in its Education Justice Program, which is funded in part through a grant from the Missouri Foundation for Health. The goal of the Education Justice Program is to combat the systemic issues that create racial and ethnic disparities in education, which lead to school push out and health disparities. The Education Justice Program seeks to advance education equity and racial justice for all children in Missouri primarily through impact, affirmative litigation and other impact advocacy tools including community collaboration and empowerment, and media advocacy.
- Utilize litigation and other impact advocacy tools to address policies and practices that create barriers to equal opportunities in education for individuals marginalized by lack of resources, race, disability, or other circumstances.
- Engage with a wide range of community partners in cases and initiatives to help carry out systemic advocacy.
- Work closely with and report directly to the Managing Attorney of the Education Justice Program to identify and develop systemic advocacy issues concerning education equity.
- Work with the EJP Managing Attorney to put together and participate in litigation teams for various education equity cases and bring in outside resources as needed to partner with Legal Services attorneys
- Participate in individual advocacy and community education for the purposes of investigating systemic issues and forming relationships with members of the community.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- At least 2 years of experience as a practicing attorney preferred, but not required
- Experience with federal and state court litigation preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law work or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Racial justice advocacy experience preferred
- Strong litigation skills
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
Salary and Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, and paid CLE and Bar dues.
How to Apply:
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri's office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.