Staff Attorney - Consumer Program
Consumer | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc., a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low income/low opportunity, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work in its Consumer Law Program focusing on tenant’s rights litigation and eviction defense.
The Staff Attorney will work with low-income families and individuals providing legal representation in state court proceedings. Additionally, this position may involve systemic advocacy through impact litigation in state and federal court, community lawyering and outreach, and other forms of broad-based advocacy as appropriate.
- Conducting client interviews, investigation, and fact gathering
- All aspects of litigation, including, drafting pleadings, discovery, motion practice, trial preparation and trials
- Conducting legal research and analysis
- Participating in community outreach and presentations
- Working collaboratively with other Legal Services programs and community partners
- Supervising law student interns
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- At least 2 years of experience as a practicing attorney and/or experience with housing law preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law work or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with case management software preferred
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
Salary and Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, and paid CLE and Bar dues.
How to Apply:
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.