Staff Attorney - Children's Legal Alliance
Children's Legal Alliance | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Children’s Legal Alliance Program
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low-income/low opportunity, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work in its Children’s Legal Alliance (CLA) program.
The CLA Staff Attorney works with children and families in St. Louis City to increase access to educational opportunities and improve educational outcomes for children served by the program. Legal advocacy will be primarily in the areas of special education, school discipline, and the rights of students experiencing homelessness. The Staff Attorney will conduct community outreach and education, provide legal advice, advocacy and representation in a variety of formal and informal settings (including civil, administrative and informal proceedings) that affect a client’s ability to access critical educational services. The Staff Attorney may pursue impact litigation resulting in systemic change. The Staff Attorney will work closely with the program’s social worker to provide clients with holistic advocacy.
- Conduct substantive educational legal work in a variety of settings, utilizing all tools available. Draft complex pleadings, letters, and memoranda. Advance client goals through legal representation, including administrative hearings and court proceedings.
- Conduct in-depth client interviews, fact gathering and maintain regular and responsive contact with clients.
- Create community education materials. Present and teach to groups of potential clients, service providers, and referral sources (including being able to lead workshops with community organizations). Participate and be active in connecting with community partners and conducting community outreach.
- Work with low-income/low-opportunity, underrepresented communities, recognize major issues affecting the lives of low-income clients. Work collaboratively with co-workers and community partners in other professions.
- Track project activities for purposes of reporting to funders and assist with grant reporting, as needed.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- Two years’ experience as a practicing attorney preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Previous teaching experience or education law experience preferred, but not required
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office 365 and case management software
- Demonstrate initiative, sound judgment and a commitment to LSEM’s legal aid mission
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling LSEM’s mission
How to Apply:
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.