Social Services Coordinator
Volunteer Lawyers Program | St. Louis, MO | Part Time
Social Services Coordinator
Volunteer Lawyers Program
Part-Time (approximately 15 hours weekly)
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (Legal Services), a non-profit law firm providing free civil legal assistance to low income/low opportunity individuals in 21 eastern Missouri counties, is seeking a part-time (approximately15 hours per week) Legal Services Coordinator for its Volunteer Lawyers Program. The Social Services Coordinator will assist with client intake and case monitoring and will provide social services counseling and referrals to clients who need social services. The Social Services Coordinator will also participate in legal assistance clinics, attorney trainings and similar events.
The Social Services Coordinator is the front-line person interacting with legal clients who need social services. The Social Services Coordinator reports to the Director of the Volunteer Lawyers Program. This position will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Interview clients and obtain necessary information to assist them with their social service referral needs.
- Effectively manage a high volume caseload.
- Use the Legal Server case management system (training provided) to input case notes.
- Engage in verbal and written communications with volunteer attorneys regarding client needs for social services assistance.
- Participate in and assist with trainings, seminars and legal assistance clinics.
- Serve as the Program’s internal liaison to other LSEM departments and external liaison to social service agencies.
- Maintain a working knowledge of social services resources in the St. Louis community.
- Be willing to obtain a rudimentary knowledge of Missouri housing law, family law and other areas of legal practice in which clients are served.
- Perform other duties as required by the Director of the Volunteer Lawyers Program.
- Must have a passion for serving low-income clients; have exceptional emotional maturity and stress management skills necessary to serve clients who are in the midst of crises and trauma; must have strong organizational and multi-tasking skills; possess strong verbal and written communication skills; must enjoy working with people. Must be a self-starter able to work independently with limited task supervision.
- Must have some professional experience with serving low-income clients.
- Must hold a bachelor’s level degree in a social service related field.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Power Point etc.)
- Must have transportation for occasional work outside of the office at legal assistance clinics.
- The ideal candidate will have three or more years of recent experience providing social services and/or social services referrals to low-income clients in the St. Louis community.
Salary & Benefits Information:
- Flexible schedule. Hourly wage commensurate with experience.
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: L. Lingard, Interim Human Resources Director, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with a desired start date of mid-August 2018.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail address listed above. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.