Part Time Staff Attorney - Elder Law Program
Elder Law | St. Louis, MO | Part Time
Part Time Staff Attorney
Elder Law Program
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a nonprofit law firm providing free, quality civil legal services to low income/low opportunity clients seeks a part-time Staff Attorney (24 hours/week) to work in its our Elder Law Program, focusing on cases which can bring a monetary benefit to the senior household.
The Staff Attorney will work with low-income senior households and individuals, providing direct representation of clients in state and federal civil litigation and administrative hearings. Additionally, this position may involve systemic advocacy on issues adversely affecting the health and well-being of low-income seniors. To make sure eligible clients learn about our services, the Attorney will provide community education and training for social service and health care providers about legal issues that often impact seniors.
- Conducting client interviews, investigation, and fact gathering
- All aspects of litigation, including, drafting pleadings, discovery, motion practice, trial preparation and trials, and administrative hearings in substantive areas of civil law, including, public benefits, housing, consumer, and durable powers of attorney
- Conducting legal research and analysis
- Participating in community outreach and presentations
- Working collaboratively with other Legal Services programs and community partners serving seniors
- Supervising law student interns
- Drafting grant reports
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- At least 2 years of experience as a practicing attorney and/or experience with housing law preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law work or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills
- · Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- · Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with case management software preferred
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
Salary and Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. This position is not benefit eligible, but will receive pro-rated paid time off and paid CLE and Bar dues.
How to Apply:
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.