Paralegal / Legal Services Coordinator - CED Microenterprise
Community Economic Development | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Legal Services Coordinator / Paralegal
Community Economic Development – Microenterprise Program
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a nonprofit law firm providing free legal assistance to people living with low-incomes and groups serving disadvantaged communities, seeks a highly organized individual with a demonstrated commitment to equitable community development for a full-time Legal Services Coordinator/Paralegal position for its Community Economic Development – Microenterprise Program.
The Community Economic Development-Microenterprise Program seeks to improve the quality of life for communities, to increase wealth and help create jobs by offering transactional legal work for aspiring businesses and nonprofits.
This Legal Services Coordinator/Paralegal will enhance the program’s effectiveness by assisting the Staff Attorney working with community partners, including the Urban League and other organizations. The Legal Services Coordinator/Paralegal will be completing intake and case preparation, drafting document templates and newsletters, coordinating clinics and presentations, helping track and recruit volunteer attorneys for the program and maintaining the volunteer database. This position may be based at Urban League facilities or other community organization facilities for part of the service delivery.
- Conduct intake, case preparation and file management for cases arising out of outreach with Urban League and other community organizations;
- Be the liaison for volunteer attorneys who have accepted cases;
- Keep cases organized by establishing and organizing files, monitoring calendars, documenting actions, inputting information into case management software and confirming case status with staff and volunteer attorneys;
- Assist Staff Attorney to work with the Urban League in helping develop and support work with women entrepreneurs including preparing for any Urban League conference or outreach and other related events that occur periodically throughout the year;
- Assist with, and attend off-site outreach events as needed with the Staff Attorney to staff office hours, clinics and presentations;
- Assist with making referrals as appropriate, resolving the problems of clients, and providing community outreach and education;
- Coordinate clinics and presentations and working with community partners in developing outreach;
- Track and maintain database of volunteer attorneys in addition to assisting with recruiting of same;
- Draft document templates and newsletters for the Microenterprise Program; and
- Assist with grant reporting, and compliance with the Managing Attorney.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and/or public interest work;
- Ability to work among diverse communities and grassroots community groups;
- Highly organized;
- Acute attention to detail;
- Strong communication and collaboration skills;
- Strong work ethic and ability to triage;
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends and have reliable transportation across St. Louis County;
- Confident and dependable individual with a good sense of humor;
- Self-motivated and creative thinker;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent computer skills.
How to Apply:
Click here to upload your resume and cover letter through JobScore. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered until position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.