Accounting | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc., a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low income/low opportunity, seeks a full-time General Accountant to work in the Finance Department.
The General Accountant is responsible for accounts payable and payroll.
Accounts Payable duties:
- Ensure all expenses have received appropriate approvals and are paid and entered into the accounting software on a timely basis. Consistent, accurate labeling and coding of expenses is essential.
- Oversee vendor contract relationships with postage meters, telephone, copiers, hotspots, etc, so as to ensure the best combination of service and rate structure
- Identify grant and department charges on consolidated invoices for accurate coding in AP system
- Perform cost allocations – including tracking of vendors not subject to allocation and ensure allocations take into consideration appropriate grant, department, and location coding
- Ensure LSC rules regarding allowable expenses are followed
- Coordinate employee insurance benefit coverage with HR and review invoices for accuracy prior to payment
- Maintain list of reoccurring vendor payments and follow up with vendors
- Maintain vendor files for contracts, W-9’s, lien waivers, certificates of insurance and paid invoices
- Prepare 1099’s
Payroll Accounting duties:
- Maintain updated payroll records in payroll system and prepare payroll
- Oversee employee timecards for timeliness and accuracy
- Ensure all employee deductions for benefits are remitted timely and accurately
- Review leave accruals for accuracy
- Prepare W-2’s and 1095’s
- Prepare yearend liability accruals for payroll, leave, and retirement plan
Performs other duties as required, including maintaining the Client Trust Account
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
- At least 3 years of general accounting experience or equivalent preferred, including experience with accounts payable and payroll
- Knowledge of accounting principles, including nonprofit and/or governmental accounting.
- Proficiency in various computer applications including accounting software, Microsoft Office, and databases
- Ability to critically review data for accuracy, trends, and identify changes in accrual balances. Detail oriented. Monitors own work to ensure quality
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
Salary and Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, and continuing education.
How to Apply:
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.