Director of Compliance
Finance | St. Helena, CA | Full Time
Lawrence Wine Estates supports a growing collection of wine estates in Napa Valley. The collection includes Heitz Cellar, Burgess Cellars, and Stony Hill Vineyards, all wineries with a deep legacy in Napa Valley, as well as four new brands that are anchored by distinct estate vineyards. Since the purchase of Heitz Cellar in 2018, owner Gaylon Lawrence and Master Sommelier and CEO Carlton McCoy have continued to acquire unique vineyards and now seek to launch new brands to realize more fully the potential of more than 600 acres of Napa Valley vineyards. All the estate brands honor traditional wine styles and prioritize natural farming techniques to create pure and balanced wines of the highest quality. Lawrence Wine Estates is actively expanding, creating a fast-paced environment. This endeavor creates a unique work culture where winemaking and vineyard traditions are honored, but the spirit is entrepreneurial. Lawrence Wine Estates works closely with Demeine Estates, the sales and marketing partner for each of the wine estates.
The primary role of the Director of Compliance will be to manage all compliance functions for multiple affiliated entities, utilizing external support where needed. The Director of Compliance will support a growing and evolving organization and, as such, must embrace the challenges that emerge from launching or acquiring new brands.
- Prepare, file, and submit TTB and California operational reports and excise taxes for multiple wineries, including using best practices for storing backup documentation
- Calculate California CDTFA Sales tax filings and pre-payments monthly and file quarterly
- Prepare, file, and submit CA Importer returns as required
- Organize and maintain TTB supporting documentation records, including bills of lading (BOLS’s), export and import documentation, tax paid removals, inventory and inventory losses, and sample documentation
- Manage TTB required annual physical inventory process and record keeping
- FDA compliance audit preparedness and records maintenance, including food safety, staff training, and bio-terrorism report requirements, in collaboration with the winemaking team
- Update ABC/TTB locations and ownership as needed
- Coordinate and supervise label review and COLA submission for new or redesigned products
- Trademark/IP maintenance – advising on reactive vs. proactive monitoring
- Coordinate with outside vendor on the following:
- Maintenance of bond coverage
- Submission of TTB Trade name additions
- Filing of Fictitious Business Names (FBN’s) with Napa and Sonoma counties
- Permit renewals: direct to consumer, wholesale, tax, bond, solicitor, and secretary of state
- Out-of-state product registrations, label revisions and renewals for both Wholesale and DTC products across all brands
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 8+ years of compliance experience in the wine industry with demonstrated record of increasing responsibility
- Experience with streamlining compliance operations
- Willingness to work extended hours when needed, especially in the first several months as the organization undergoes system and process modernization
- Strong communication skills: written and oral. Ability to communicate with employees at all levels
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Employee must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid Driver’s License and be insurable by company standards.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Light travel between locations in Napa Valley.
Benefits: health, dental, vision, FSA, 401(k) program with employer match, life and disability insurance, paid time off (PTO), and paid holidays.
To Apply: Each qualified candidate is invited to submit a resume and cover letter.