Accounting | St. Helena, CA | Full Time
Lawrence Wine Estates supports a growing collection of wine estates in Napa Valley. The collection includes Heitz Cellar, Burgess Cellars, and Stony Hill Vineyards, all wineries with a deep legacy in Napa Valley, as well as four new brands that are anchored by distinct estate vineyards. Since the purchase of Heitz Cellar in 2018, owner Gaylon Lawrence and Master Sommelier and CEO Carlton McCoy have continued to acquire unique vineyards and now seek to launch new brands to realize more fully the potential of more than 600 acres of Napa Valley vineyards. All the estate brands honor traditional wine styles and prioritize natural farming techniques to create pure and balanced wines of the highest quality. Lawrence Wine Estates is actively expanding, creating a fast-paced environment. This endeavor creates a unique work culture where winemaking and vineyard traditions are honored, but the spirit is entrepreneurial. Lawrence Wine Estates works closely with Demeine Estates, the sales and marketing partner for each of the wine estates.
The primary role of the Controller will be to oversee all accounting functions of multiple affiliated entities. The Controller will manage an accounting team to support a growing and evolving organization. The ideal candidate is creative and hands-on. The candidate will embrace and implement new technologies where appropriate to build an efficient and scalable accounting and financial reporting operation.
- Manage the following accounting functions with a team of four, with team expansion as needed to support growth
- Own the general ledger for multiple affiliated entities
- Cash Management, including oversight of the weekly cash models
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Fixed Assets
- Cost Accounting (grapes and finished wine)
- Inventory (tracking, transfers, location reconciliations, etc.)
- Responsible for all accounting-related systems
- ERP: Manage the Microsoft Business Central (FKA Navision)
- AP and Expense management tools (Continia)
- Ensure integrity of data coming from POS/e-commerce system (Commerce7)
- Partner with the FP&A team to prepare monthly financial statements for all entities
- Develop and implement accounting policies, controls, and procedures that improve accuracy and integrity
- Manage the annual audits and reviews for all entities
- Support the executive team with reporting and analysis
- Streamline and manage the monthly close process
- Expense management and analytics, including variance reporting
- Coordinate with Director of Compliance on all compliance reporting
- Support/liaison for tax reporting
- Support expense budgeting and forecasting processes
- Manage intercompany entries
- Champion continuous improvement of processes across all entities
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred, CPA is a plus
- 10+ years of accounting work experience preferred, with a successful track record of advancement within an organization. We will consider less experience for certain extraordinary candidates.
- Experience in the wine industry or other CPG industry is a plus
- Big 4 Accounting experience is a plus
- Solid understanding of GAAP and how to balance that with managerial accounting, which is inevitably more important to executive and owner decision-making
- Advance skills in Excel and proficient with other Microsoft office programs
- ERP experience, notably Microsoft Navision or Microsoft Business Central, is highly desirable
- Experience with and passion for streamlining accounting operations
- Understanding of and ability to research technical accounting issues
- Willingness to work extended hours when needed, especially in the first several months as the organization undergoes system and process modernization
- Strong communication skills: written and oral. Ability to communicate with employees at all levels
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Employee must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid Driver’s License and be insurable by company standards.