Executive | Oakland, CA | Full Time
SupplyBank.org seeks an experienced, energetic and mission aligned leader to join our team as its first Deputy Director. The ideal candidate will have a successful track-record of building and managing multiple initiatives or programs, personnel oversight, coalition building, developing systems and working self-sufficiently. The position requires you to excel in all forms of communication including public speaking and high-level written correspondence.
This position will be integral to the ongoing success of our ongoing 58 county COVID-19 response program, building and implementing several aspects of our post-Pandemic strategic plan and programs, developing key systems and have a dual leadership role in the development our new distribution center and offices adjacent to the beautiful Martin Luther King Jr. shoreline park on the East Oakland Waterfront.
SupplyBank.Org personnel have worked from home since the onset of the Pandemic. Once it is safe, this position will be based at our office in Oakland, California. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds with the qualifications listed below and a sincere passion for making a lasting change in their community to apply.
SupplyBank.org is a collaborative and innovative non-profit agency that provides essential goods and services to children and families in vulnerable communities throughout California.
SupplyBank.org replicates the Food Bank model and applies it to the delivery of basic tangible needs to children and families facing challenging situations. We seek to permanently and effectively transform the way people receive what they need to thrive.
SupplyBank.Org centralizes procurement and in-kind donations to provide upwards of $3 worth of necessities for every $1 invested. In few years prior to the Pandemic, the Organization provided more than $27 million worth of materials including diapers, hygiene supplies, school supplies and refurbished laptops to hundreds of thousands of low-income children and families throughout California. Our largest programmatic footprint remains in the Bay Area, but with significant growth in all 58 counties.
By distributing materials through a statewide network of partnering agencies that provide additional resources supporting pathways out of poverty, we aim to both alleviate the immediate symptoms of poverty, while incentivizing families to participate in programs that provide pathways towards self-sufficiency. Leveraging existing investments into the safety net enables SupplyBank.Org to distribute critical materials through an existing and trusted infrastructure with a leg up approach (no line), while minimizing our operational costs.
Oakport Street Project - Oakport.org
Our next phase will begin with the completion of the Oakport Street Project Oakport.Org, which will include our new 120,000 sq. ft. distribution center, 160,000 sq. ft. nonprofit center, 24 hour childcare for employees, massive murals, a two-acre rooftop farm and reentry job training program with permanent placements. With its completion, our programs for poverty alleviation, immediate disaster relief and others will scale to meet regional and statewide needs. See more at www.oakport.org.
Since the onset of the Pandemic, SupplyBank.Org utilized its relationships with numerous state agencies, FEMA representatives and several other local agencies to establish and administer 58 county specific emergency supplies programs totaling several million dollars each quarter. While they vary in distribution points, all partner with each respective County Children and Families Commission, childcare providers for essential personnel, COEs and other programs through public health/social services agencies. Thousands of organizations throughout the state are beneficiaries and several Counties made supplemental appropriations towards the effort to increase scope and impact.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The Deputy Director will work with and report to the Executive Director to oversee the Organization’s day-to-day operations, while also assuming some responsibility for its strategic initiatives, the Oakport Street Project, personnel recruitment for building out the Development Department/other departments and board and advisory board management. The candidate will work with and supervise other senior staff to implement specific strategic plan and agency goals for enhanced agency stability and growth.
Specific principle duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Supporting and managing senior staff to create, maintain and implement programs, operations, development, policy, finance, communications and personnel plans to accommodate rapid growth objectives
- Oversight and enhancement of systems/ SOPs for programs/operations, finances, development, policy goals, communications and personnel functions
- Providing leadership and management to ensure proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems, are in place to effectively grow the organization and to secure financial strength and operating efficiency
- Lead the Development Department’s growth and cross-department integration
- Cultivating a cohesive work culture and fostering a nurturing, success-oriented, transparent and accountable environment within the organization – grow our Organization by growing the team
- Co-facilitating the development and execution of the Organization’s DEI strategy in close collaboration with the senior staff, SBO’s DEI Consultant, Board of Directors, SBO’s partners and others to define priorities, goals, and measures of success
- Recruiting key personnel that are values and mission aligned, in collaboration with the Executive Director and other staff, for new and growing areas of the Organization
- Utilize support staff to best utilize the Executive Director and Board of Directors’ time to maximize engagement and impact with key audiences
- Serve as a resource to employees regarding issues of HR policies and coordinate with third parties as appropriate
- Build and maintain relationships with key agency partners across all departments
Oakport Street Project
- Managing new personnel plans and recruitment, consulting engagements/contracts and other activities with respect to the Oakport Street Project aka Oakport.Org.
- Work with the Executive Director, other senior staff, Construction Management firm and other contractors to maintain full knowledge of the agency’s development of a modern distribution center and adjacent office campus for allied community-based organizations
- Present the Oakport.Org project plan and the community benefits plan to numerous stakeholders on behalf of the organization
- Assist in the recruitment of SBO’s personnel for the project
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; graduate degree preferred. Candidates with additional years of professional experience will also be considered
- 5-10 years’ experience in nonprofit or other relevant management, preferably for a human services organization with similar programming structures
- No less than 5 years’ experience fully managing multiple direct reports, ideally of differing roles and responsibilities or departments
- Superior written and excellent oral communication skills; unwavering attention to detail in all external communications
- Demonstrated track record of success in providing the direction, analysis and structures to realize strategic organizational goals
- Expertise in developing systems with key performance indicators for agency programs and/or initiatives – ideally through a CRM and/or similar platforms
- Strong understanding of California state and local government agencies that assist low-income children and families
- Experience creating and managing project and/or organizational budgets
- Self-sufficiency in new initiatives - capable of independently closing specific fundraising or capacity building opportunities for key program initiatives, operations and structured growth
- General understanding of best practices for human resources
- Great sense of humor and demonstrated dedication to the community
- Familiarity with Asana or other task management platform - excellent time management skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Salesforce or other CRM platforms
- Proficiency with QuickBooks or other accounting software
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required.
The Deputy Director will be an exempt, salaried position with benefits commensurate with experience and performance for the Bay Area Nonprofit Market. SupplyBank.Org offers health, vision, and dental benefits, transportation and student loan subsidies, and a Simple IRA with a 3% gross company match. Since the onset of the Pandemic, we have also offered additional supports to safely work from home with overall wellness as a first priority.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
SupplyBank.Org provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other protected classification. Equal employment opportunity includes, but is not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, demotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination. SupplyBank.Org takes allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation seriously, and will promptly conduct an investigation when such behavior is reported.
Submit a cover letter describing your qualifications with a resume through this portal. If selected for an interview, references will be required. This position is open until this posting is removed.
***NO PHONE CALLS OR DIRECT EMAILS TO STAFF PLEASE***