Sr. Power Electrical Engineer (Raleigh, NC)
Engineering | Hybrid in Raleigh, NC | Full Time
Sr. Power Electrical Engineer
Ecosense is a rapidly growing technology company based in Los Angeles. Our purpose is to invent, inspire and transform how we experience light. Our strategy is audacious, and our expectations are high. We are pioneering in the areas of color science, photometry and mixed reality. Using the sun and the moon as inspiration, we are using our inventions to enhance our industry’s understanding of light and materially transform expectations for artificial light.
We have been fortunate to light some of the most coveted spaces on earth and to be recognized by the likes of Red Dot for innovation and design, as well as Inc 500 and Deloitte for consistently making their fastest growing companies lists.
Ecosense hires curious, collaborative, autonomous and smart people who also happen to be very nice. We have a passion for tackling the unknown, solving hard problems, and answering questions that haven’t been explored.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
We are seeking a Senior Power Electrical Engineer with substantial experience in the design and development of high-efficient power supply and LED driver designs.
In this exciting role, you will own the process from concept investigation and design analysis to successful production execution.
Using strong analytical and problem-solving skills the Sr. Product Electronics Engineer will guide critical decision making for the organization. The ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams is extremely important.
The Sr. Power Electronics Engineer will have strong and effective communications skills to coordinate with a cross-functional team to meet very aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals. These communication skills will be critical when partnering with management of outside resources for design, prototyping, and testing of new power supplies/drivers.
The right candidate will adhere to robust design methodologies for successful project execution and possess good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Candidate must also possess knowledge of high-volume manufacturing technologies and production variance.
We want someone to come in and roll up their sleeves and trouble shoot, so a hands-on lab worker is a must along with deep knowledge of offline conversion topologies including Flyback, Buck, PFC, resonant converters, LLC and analog/digital controls loops.
Candidate must be intimately familiar with power supply safety and environmental certifications, offline controllers, components, magnetic design, power supply layout and state-of the art techniques for efficiency optimizations including no load/light load efficiency techniques.
The Sr. Power Electrical Engineer will lead in core architecture investigation with the Power architect and determine the best design option for power metric performance optimization including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost and scalability.
- Design analysis, modeling, DFM, prototype development, qualification, safety/REL certifications
- Design simulation, calculations and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome
- Design risk assessments, mitigation plans, development lessons learned and proof of concepts
- Design Schematic and BOM; Work with layout team for LED driver layouts
- Conduct design and layout reviews with cross-functional teams
- Prototype tests and validation results, document multi-dimensional activities
- Keep up-to-date on state-of-the art technologies
- Competitive bench marking for each project
- Troubleshoot design and production issues
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- 10 years of professional experience with at least 5 years’ experience in power electronics, taking the design from concept to volume production and sustaining.
- Experience with 120V-277V to low voltage, 50W to higher power levels convertor designs.
- Flyback, boost and buck convertor design expertise.
- Experience designing to safety and regulatory standards including UL/CSA/CE/FCC etc.
- Proficiency with schematic editor and PCB layout, simulation tool ex: Spice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 20%).
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.