Sr. Graphic Designer / Lead
Design | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. Our core offering is a subscription service that delivers curated hands-on projects to kids. We also manage an ecommerce storefront as well as the retail channel. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors, and we were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Mountain View, CA.
We are looking for an experienced Sr. Graphic Designer who is interested in marrying art and design to deliver a cohesive and compelling aesthetic across visual touchpoints. You will designing yourself and helping to direct others’ creative while taking on a hands-on approach. You are the champion of the Kiwi Crate brand. You also drive towards accomplishing business objectives.
- Create, maintain, apply and monitor the official brand style guide - be the champion of the KiwiCo brand
- Lead the design efforts supporting physical and digital products as well as marketing for KiwiCo
- Design intuitive products and interfaces with seamless user experience that also meet business objectives
- Create beautiful visual solutions that meet business and user needs by representing the brand via typography, photography, videography, color, illustration and other factors
- Establish and coordinate art direction for the creative team. Manage design team members ranging from graphic design, web design, illustration, and photography / videography
- Work in a highly iterative and collaborative way, directly alongside product managers, marketing managers, product designers, developers
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve. Excellent organizational, communications, and multi-tasking skills are musts. Required skills and qualifications include:
- 8+ years of design experience for a consumer product. Experience across the entire design process. 4+ years of experience leading a team of talented designers
- Strong design portfolio with physical product / print in particular
- Design leadership experience across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Strong visual design skills and high level of taste and aesthetic sense. A critical eye and an obsessive attention to detail. Able to develop design language from scratch and set design standard
- Astute storyteller via design, illustration, and photography / videography. Innovative thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Able to create and establish a new design language from scratch in addition to scaling an existing set of guidelines
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to speak fluently and clearly explain design decisions to business partners, product designers, and engineers
- Understanding of design conventions for print
- Ability to think creatively and critically - understand how to balance business objectives with user needs. Think outside of the box, yet put yourself in customers’ shoes.
- Broad operating range. Thinks strategically and has a love of detail and design finesse. An enthusiasm for directing others and rolling up your sleeves and delivering design work
- A balanced understanding of strategy, usability, interaction and visual design. Customer-centric. Great business intuition and appreciation of design principles
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload and meet project timelines and deliverable dates
- Experience working with creatives. Able to give direction and feedback to achieve desired outcomes and a consistent visual language
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Experience in startup environment
- Experience with user research and usability testing, as well as analytics and A/B testing tools to observe user behavior
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.