Manager, New Initiatives
Admin | Los Altos, CA | Full Time
KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. Committed to helping young innovators build their creative confidence and problem-solving skills, we offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. Our core offering is a subscription service that delivers curated hands-on projects to kids. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors, and we were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Los Altos.
KiwiCo is seeking a creative and analytically-minded Manager of New Initiatives responsible for developing KiwiCo’s merchandise strategy for new channels. This individual will oversee P&L responsibilities for these key channels and manage the strategic direction and end-to-end merchandising process from assortment planning to pricing to sales to conversion management.
This is a rewarding and rich position that requires someone who is analytical and data-driven, but also has a great eye for product. This is a unique opportunity to have a huge impact on a rapidly growing company as well as the community of families and young innovators that we serve. This position requires someone with broad operating range (who can think and plan strategically and act quickly against the day-to-day execution) and a love for the details and design.
- Own the creation and execution of the merchandise strategy and roadmap for new business areas and channels. This includes key analyses to drive the business.
- Achieve financial and margin goals, while driving overall revenue growth.
- Leverage reporting, forecasting, and analysis to identify growth opportunities, make assortment improvements, and drive for results.
- Define assortment plans + product/packaging creation. Ensure a compelling product experience on the site and in store.
- Cultivate relationships with retail partners and establish other partnerships.
- Collaborates closely with cross-functional teams including Product Designers, Sourcing, Operations, and Marketing.
Experience & Skills
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve.
- Bachelor's degree with 5-10+ years related experience. MBA a plus.
- 2+ years experience in a startup environment. Quantitative background - analytics, strategy, finance, performance marketing. Merchandising / buying experience (online and offline) a plus.
- Focus on driving results. Self-starter with proven capability to entirely own complex problems and deliver results regardless of impediments and resourcing.
- Superb analytical skills. The ideal candidate loves data and is able to analyze a problem, use data to articulate a recommendation, and take action accordingly. Clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them.
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to prioritize and organize in a fast paced environment and meet changing deadlines and priorities on multiple simultaneous projects.
- Creative problem-solving. Innovative thinking. Able to define a course of action in the face of complexity and ambiguity.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, small company environment - under pressure and working toward aggressive timelines. Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines while still paying attention to details and executing flawlessly. Ability to balance and productively resolve pressing demands and timelines in order to deliver against the company vision and goals.
- Customer focused. Strong understanding of consumer/children's products or marketing to parents. Clear understanding of and empathy for KiwiCo customers. Deep understanding of our customers (kids and grownups / moms), including what is important to her, where else she shops, and product trends
- Product intuition. An eye for great merchandise design and intuitive understanding of what will sell and what constitutes a differentiated stand-out product.
- Strong desire to be hands-on. Has great attention to detail and eager to get his/her hands dirty.
- Excellent judgment. Great business intuition. Able to make sound judgments based on tradeoffs of different solutions, complex problems, various stakeholders, and many constraints.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to collaborate actively and effectively on multidisciplinary teams. Exceptional communication skills. Can create common knowledge and generate buy-in and influence stakeholders and senior management towards recommended decisions. Experience managing vendor or partner relations.
- Clear understanding and deep appreciation for KiwiCo’s mission in developing young innovators.
If you’re passionate about creating and driving a business that produces innovative, delightful, and enriching products for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.