Illustrator (Contract Position)
Design | Mountain View, CA | Contract
KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. Our core offering is a subscription service. We design and deliver awesome hands-on projects to kids. We also manage an ecommerce storefront as well as the retail channel. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors, and we were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Mountain View, CA.
The Illustrator (Contract) role at Kiwi Crate brings our brand and characters to life. It’s a rich and rewarding contract position that directly shapes our customers’ impressions and engages our young customers. In this role, you may work on a project basis or specific hours. You will be creating and delivering illustrations for collateral, online use, and more - in association with our hands-on product and for digital marketing.
- Translates concepts into compelling stories and images by developing illustrations and managing the process
- Develops inspiring artwork and storytelling that connects with customers
- Creates and hones new illustrations and characters for new product and business lines
- Works flexibility to adopt different house styles and to ensure brand consistency
- Explores potential use of animation to bring characters and brand to life
- Collaborates closely with Product Design, Graphic Design, and Marketing
- Illustrations and comics may be used in magazines, instructions, videos, marketing materials, digital mediums, and other collateral
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve.
The ideal candidate has great initiative and operating range. Required skills and responsibilities:
- Experience. Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of illustration and character development experience with demonstrated creative successes. Has worked within a production environment, meeting deadlines & incorporating feedback. Experience in children’s product preferred.
- Passionate about customers. You love our customers and understand how to design and develop artwork for a fun and enriching set of projects and materials - for kids and for parents.
- Hands-on, “get things done” mentality. Self-starter with the ability to prioritize in a fast paced environment and meet changing deadlines and priorities on multiple simultaneous projects. Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines while still paying attention to details and executing flawlessly. Strong project management skills.
- Passionate about design. Understands the design and development process from concept to production. An eye for great design and intuitive understanding of what connects with readers / customers
- Resourceful. You see a project from idea stage through successful completion - and do whatever it takes to make it a success. You are an innovative thinker and can solve problems creatively.
- Detail-oriented. We move quickly, but we bring care and thoughtfulness to everything we do. We care deeply about the details.
- Collaborative. Ability to work well within cross-functional teams in a matrixed organization. A positive force on the team who can bring our product to the next level.
- Broad operating range. Have the ability to think broadly around how illustration can further our business goals, while also having a love of detail and design finesse. Thrives in a fast-paced, small company environment.
- Strong design and art skills with a fresh aesthetic sense. Proficient in CS6: InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator. Working knowledge of techniques.
- Experience in character design and development
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching artwork and stories for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.