Director of Business Development
Business Development | Mountain View, CA
Kiwi Crate is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. We offer a subscription service that delivers curated hands-on projects to kids. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We're backed by leading investors and were named one of the "20 Startups to Watch" by Business Insider and "Hottest Companies in Silicon Valley" by Lead411. Our office is located in Mountain View, within walking distance from Caltrain.
Role and Responsibilities:
We are seeking an entrepreneurial and seasoned Director of Business Development to join our team. The candidate should possess a proven ability to assess, refine, engage and manage strategic, revenue driving partnerships for a consumer products company. The Director of Business Development is responsible for negotiating partnerships that increase our subscriber base, generate new revenue streams, enhance our product offerings, or otherwise add value to Kiwi Crate.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Develop our partnership strategy with the executive team
- Lead Business Development opportunities that range from strategic distribution deals to content and rev share arrangements
- Identify, engage, develop and nurture partner relationships which drive subscriber acquisition and revenue growth. Negotiate partnership agreements to come up with win-win arrangements which achieve our business objectives
- Work closely with cross-functional teams (Product/Merchandising, Marketing, Digital Product/Technology, and Analytics) to bring partnership programs to life
- Track and measure the direct and indirect ROI (financial and user growth) of various partnership efforts
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve.
The ideal candidate has great operating range - being both strategic at a broader level as well as extremely detail-oriented. He or she has an analytical mind, an amazingly creative ability to problem solve, and a drive to improve bottom-line results. Excellent organizational, analytical, and multi-tasking skills are musts. Required skills and qualifications include:
- 7+ years business development experience driving successful partner relationships at consumer Internet/product companies with some prior experience working in a high growth startup
- Keen ability to create new business opportunities through partnerships
- Strong understanding of web metrics (unique visitors, page views, conversion funnels), business metrics (revenue, margin, RPM) and ecommerce metrics
- Outstanding ability to assess, refine and implement strategic, revenue-driving partnerships as well as execute tactical, yet impactful, partnerships and programs
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong working relationships inside and outside the company. Ability to manage partners globally, including business and technical experts
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, highly strategic
- Excellent business intuition and communications
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Proven track record managing cross-functional and direct teams
- Experience in the parenting, education, or toys vertical a plus
- MBA preferred. BS/BA required