Sr. Product Designer
Product Design | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn; and arm them with the creative confidence and tools to change the world. Our core offering is a subscription service that delivers hands-on projects to kids ages 0-16+. We also have an online store and a content hub for families. We take great pride and ownership in the products and experiences we design and in the community of parents and kids we serve. Our office is located in Mountain View, within walking distance to the Caltrain station. Currently, we are working remotely. As guidelines permit, we will move to our plan of hybrid, remote/in-office work.
Role and Responsibilities:
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our team and spearhead the development of compelling and creative STEAM projects for kids. You are a seasoned professional and independent go-getter, with strong design intuition. As a Senior Product Designer, you are responsible for owning and driving the development of projects from initial conception through to manufacturing and shipment. You are a pro at all aspects of the design process, can efficiently and effectively drive project timelines, can prioritize to balance and hit company quality and margin targets, and can aid and guide less experienced designers.
- Ideation, brainstorming, and research of hands-on product concepts. We’re a fun, creative bunch and our products span themes across arts, crafts, science, imaginative play, and more. We love pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to squeeze into a 3”x7”x10” crate.
- Prototyping and design iteration. You must be a maker at heart. Physical prototyping is our bread and butter, a daily activity that brings life to our ideas, informs design decisions, and drives our process forward. We like to get our hands dirty, move quickly, and iterate often.
- Product testing and analysis of user feedback. We hold weekly product testing sessions with kids, and the feedback we glean from these sessions deeply impacts our product direction. As a Product Designer, you manage these sessions, as well as review, analyze and integrate post-shipment feedback from our customers into our future designs.
- Material sourcing and sampling. As awesome as our ideas may be, the execution of these ideas is just as important. We work closely with our Sourcing and Operations teams, as well as our manufacturers to ensure that our products meet the highest quality standards. As a Product Designer, you write product specs, sample materials, work with manufacturers, and are responsible for spreadsheets to track product quality and cost, ensuring we hit company targets.
- Editorial. A project is only as good as its instructions. We work closely with our Editorial team to create compelling and clear instructions sets, as well as magazine content and DIY activities.
- Project Management. As a monthly subscription service, we always have multiple projects cooking at the same time. Product Designers are responsible for owning and driving product development timelines forward, hitting quality and margin targets, and integrating with other teams within the company to ensure that our products seamlessly integrate with broader company objectives.
- As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must also be a strong project manager, capable of simultaneously driving timelines, while balancing product priorities and broader company objectives. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve. A strong work ethic, communication skills, and high levels of empathy are crucial for the role.
- Passionate about kids, creativity, and early childhood development. You love kids and the power of hands-on learning and development. Creative projects are your jam, and you love bringing a spark to a child’s eye as they learn something fun and new.
- Experience: 10+ years designing physical products. You have experience with all aspects of the product development process, from conception through to a finished product. You are passionate about the design process and tirelessly pursue excellence in all aspects.
- Strong physical prototyping and mechanics skills. You’re a maker at heart and love getting creative with your hands. You’re always bursting with new ideas and can whip them up in a jiffy. Taking an idea from your head to a physical prototype and then rapidly iterating comes naturally. You have experience with, and an aptitude for, designing and constructing mechanical systems.
- Effective problem solver, with a hands-on “get things done” mentality. You are eager and able to solve challenges and tackle opportunities, identify potential issues and hurdles, and develop ways to get around them. You can adapt quickly to figure out innovative ways to get things done.
- Solid project management skills and the ability to multitask. We move fast. Effective prioritization and organization to stay positive and proactive in an ambiguous environment is a must. We always have several projects on the burner, so efficiently and effectively driving timelines, while balancing product objectives and broader company goals is essential.
- Detail & process-oriented. We move quickly, but we bring care and thoughtfulness to everything we do. We care deeply about the details, and strive for excellence in every aspect of the product development process. You own the development process from start to finish, and ensure that our t’s are crossed and our i’s dotted.
- Broad operating range. In addition to being thorough and detail-oriented, you’re able to see the big picture. Based on your understanding of the broader implications, you think critically and act strategically.
- Collaboration & communication skills. We work closely with our Operations, Sourcing, Editorial, and Marketing teams. You have exceptional communication skills that allow fluid cross-functional team discussions, projects, and collaborations. You are a true team player, and leader for more junior Designers.
- Always learning. As a growing startup, we’re always faced with new and exciting challenges. We enthusiastically own our many hats, and dive into the unknown. We love to learn, grow, and push the boundaries of what’s possible.
- More about you: You're positive, motivated, dynamic, thoughtful, creative, enthusiastic and entrepreneurial with excellent judgement.
- Proficient in Adobe Suite and 3D modeling software
- Background in industrial design or product design with manufacturing experience
- Experience designing hands-on, educational projects for kids
- Management experience
If you’re passionate about designing and producing enriching, delightful products for kids, we’d love to hear from you!
Please include a cover letter highlighting your background and describing your interest in addition to your resume.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.